• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability Payments

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Kim1961

I have been receiving disability payments for mental illness since 1998 from Social Security and through a policy from a school district where I taught in Iowa. In January a resident psychiatrist incorrectly mailed a physcial disability form instead of a mental disability form stating I was in good enough health to work (e.g. able to lift, heart, lungs, etc.). The company ceased my monthly benefits immediately. I received no notification of this until I phoned them and was told then. The doctor has since then filled out the correct paperwork and mailed this to them the following week in February. The company has yet to answer any phone calls, emails, or letters I have written. I have seen a Disability lawyer, but she stated she only knows about SS. What kind of lawyer do I need? Is it possible to get my income back?

ALawyer

Getting a letter from a lawyer who knows insuarnce law is now key. Also, go to the school disrtict and enlist their help.

Many group disability policies do limit coverage for mental (vs. physical) disability to 2-5 years so that may be behind the delay.

Also, call the state insurance department and ask for their help. The cutting you off is understandable -- the lack of resonse since is not and smacks of bad faith.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">