• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability rights on a possession charge?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Glozelle

I am from New Jersey. So a few days ago, I was driving home and was stopped. I have been struggling with mental illness and suicidal tendencies since age 6 and have tried a large variety of psychiatric medications to correct this. Recently, I have been with a new psychiatrist and therapist. In the past, I had a known SSRI allergy (a class of medication that covers drugs such as Zoloft, lexapro, Prozac, etc.). Despite this, my doctor prescribed lexapro and my therapist agreed. Soon after I took this medication, my mental state worsened. I had no idea where I was or what was happening around me. I would frequently get “zaps” where entire lapses of time were gone. It’s important to mention that due to my mental health issues I am and have been disabled for my entire life and I can only bring in approximately 100 dollars a week (including the money I need to cover expenses.) So on this night, when I was stopped, the officer said he needed to check my car because it had tinted windows (I don’t see how this is a crime, I bought the car with them??) So he tore apart my car and came back with a wrapper that I was unable to recognize, however according to him was the wrapper to an edible. I was at a party before this, however I did not consume any edibles or marijuana products, period. There was a point at said party where I “zapped out” and this could have been dropped any time where I was not coherent. I have a 100% clear record, have never even received a speeding ticket. Knowing I am suffering from an illness that I am actively seeking help for, and on a very fixed income as a result- is there anything the courts can do to help me when I go? I understand that I technically broke the law, however it was not knowingly. The officer told me if I am found guilty it would be around 800 dollars in fines, which clearly is far beyond my means. Is there a form of community service I can do in lieu of parol and hefty fines?

quincy

I am from New Jersey. So a few days ago, I was driving home and was stopped. I have been struggling with mental illness and suicidal tendencies since age 6 and have tried a large variety of psychiatric medications to correct this. Recently, I have been with a new psychiatrist and therapist. In the past, I had a known SSRI allergy (a class of medication that covers drugs such as Zoloft, lexapro, Prozac, etc.). Despite this, my doctor prescribed lexapro and my therapist agreed. Soon after I took this medication, my mental state worsened. I had no idea where I was or what was happening around me. I would frequently get “zaps” where entire lapses of time were gone. It’s important to mention that due to my mental health issues I am and have been disabled for my entire life and I can only bring in approximately 100 dollars a week (including the money I need to cover expenses.) So on this night, when I was stopped, the officer said he needed to check my car because it had tinted windows (I don’t see how this is a crime, I bought the car with them??) So he tore apart my car and came back with a wrapper that I was unable to recognize, however according to him was the wrapper to an edible. I was at a party before this, however I did not consume any edibles or marijuana products, period. There was a point at said party where I “zapped out” and this could have been dropped any time where I was not coherent. I have a 100% clear record, have never even received a speeding ticket. Knowing I am suffering from an illness that I am actively seeking help for, and on a very fixed income as a result- is there anything the courts can do to help me when I go? I understand that I technically broke the law, however it was not knowingly. The officer told me if I am found guilty it would be around 800 dollars in fines, which clearly is far beyond my means. Is there a form of community service I can do in lieu of parol and hefty fines?
You were charged with possession (and ticketed, I presume, for tinted windows)?

Some courts allow for community service hours instead of paying fines, and courts might also work out a payment plan that fits your budget if community service is not an option.

quincy

Disorderly persons offense for carrying less than 50 grams of marijuana/ marijuana paraphernalia.
Thanks for answering my question.

If this is your first offense, you will be eligible for a diversion program which will keep your criminal record clean if you meet all of the terms of the program within a probationary period.

You can request extra community service hours in lieu of the fine. It will be up to the judge whether to grant your request.

Good luck.

Glozelle

Yes, however I was hoping to avoid the probationary period altogether as these were not drugs I consumed nor was I aware of them.

quincy

Yes, however I was hoping to avoid the probationary period altogether as these were not drugs I consumed nor was I aware of them.
In that case, I recommend you have an attorney in your area assist with your defense.

Good luck.

quincy

Wouldn’t

would a public defender be able to provide the same type of assistance due to my limited income?
How old are you?

A 6 month jail term is possible on conviction, but jail is not a likely outcome. I doubt a public defender will be appointed.

Here is a link to the New Jersey Public Defenders Office with information: http://www.nj.gov/defender/apply/index.shtml/

As a note: Public defenders are not free.

What is the citation number?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">