• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disability

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ccarter

What is the name of your state? Missouri

Hi all! I have a friend who has been having some back problems. She has had these for about two years, off and on, and has seen her regular doctor and a chiropractor. She has been employed, although it has been sporadic to say the least. I think she had 6 different places of employment last year alone. Now alot of the reason she loses her jobs is because of her chronic back pain, but she never admits to having any problems on her job apps.
My question is: She is going to try and file for disability benefits now and she is not sure if it will be a big waste of time for her or not. She is 32 years old, married, and two children. Like I said she has worked, but nothing regular.....so is that going to eliminate her eligibility? She also doesn't know where to start.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

djohnson

What has her back pain been diagnosed as? In order to file for disability the first step is the Doctor will have to list her disabled and give a reason that is acceptable. She complains of back pain isn't going to be enough.

C

CIAA

ccarter,

Assuming you are talking about Social Security Disability, sporatic employment would not aafect her ability to file or get approval, although her past earnings will have an affect on her benefit amount.

Whther or not she can qualify and obtain approval is, as djohnson said, dependent on the severity of the medical condition and her ability to perform some type of gainful employment

ccarter

Hi again!! Thanks so much for the replies. I don't think they really have a name for her problem..when she was born she had a small hole in her lower back where her tail bone and spine meet. She thinks, and I don't know if the doctor thinks, that this hole is what is causing her to have so much pain, her back is constantly out of alignment. She gets pinched nerves, and it has been so severe before that she was literally not able to walk.
I appreciate your anwers, and I will pass it on to her that the first thing she needs to do is get with her doctor.

Again, thanks and have a great day!! :)

C

CIAA

ccarter,

You're welcome!

The condition you refer to is called "spina bifida" and is a very serious condition that can cause all of the symptoms you refer to and more. You should be able to obtain a lot of information researching this condition on the web.

All the best to you and your friend.

ccarter

WOW, thanks...I really thought my friend was being a hypochondriac....lol, now I feel bad. I'll definitely pass this along to her, and the name of her condition.

Again, Thanks!!!

L

ladyc4

the employment would have to have been "gainful" and "substantial" and it sure doesn't sound like it was substantial. Disability as a legal concept does not mean that you have to be in such bad shape that you can't even get hired as a speed bump!
She does need to talk to an attorney,and there are provisions for paying the attorney- receiving SSD is not limited to only those who can afford an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">