• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disabilty Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

perotp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
florida How can I find out wha the reason a person who is getting ss disability is?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
florida How can I find out wha the reason a person who is getting ss disability is?
You can't.

That information is not publicly available. Unless the person chooses to tell you or you are made the medical power of attorney over that person, it's none of your business.

quincy

You can't.

That information is not publicly available. Unless the person chooses to tell you or you are made the medical power of attorney over that person, it's none of your business.
Well, yes. perotp can. ;)

I gave one way how to get the information and you gave another. A third way is through a court action (discovery, subpoena).

It would be nice to know why the information is needed, though. If a defamation suit has been filed against perotp over "false" claims of fraud, it can be important for perotp to discover the truth so it potentially can be used as a defense.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Well, we both suggested that he could find out if the person in question told him.

If perotp has been sued for defamation over calling the disability fraud, he should have kept his mouth shut until he actually had some kind of proof. If he gets into trouble about it now, he's going to have to hope that a court is willing to order it.

People do have a right of medical privacy.

quincy

Well, we both suggested that he could find out if the person in question told him.

If perotp has been sued for defamation over calling the disability fraud, he should have kept his mouth shut until he actually had some kind of proof. If he gets into trouble about it now, he's going to have to hope that a court is willing to order it.

People do have a right of medical privacy.
Medical records can be, and are, subpoenaed for use in a court action.

I agree that, IF the question asked by perotp has anything at all to do with defamation - and was not just placed in this section of the forum due to confusion over what defamation actually is (which is not an uncommon occurrence :)) - it would be nice if perotp returned to fill us in on some details.

If a report on fraud or suspected fraud was made to the Social Security Administration (perhaps using the SSA Hotline), this type of communication would be privileged (although the privilege is a qualified one, subject to defeat upon a showing of actual malice). It would be unprivileged false statements of fact that potentially could support a defamation claim.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">