• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disabled man living in Minnesota on Medicaid wants freedom to invent and write

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

But is Mom going to monetize the works? Is op, who lives at the home,going to be the actual beneficiary?

Call me jaded but what I see is somebody shifting their income to protect it while continuing on the public dole. I have a problem with that, if that is the ultimate goal.

Arhimidis

You can create all you want. Creating doesn’t mean you have to monetize it. If you do though and create a great enough income you get to purchase insurance just like the rest of us. There is no reason the citizens of the country should continue to subsidies your expenses if you can pay for them on your own. If you can make enough money with your creativity maybe you can get off all government assistance.

You won’t lose anything until your income exceeds the limits imposed so invent away.
That is ultimately my goal. The problem is, I am not able to make enough money fast enough to get off Medicaid. My situation is more grim than most. Due to Muscular Dystrophy, I cannot do anything for myself and require 24 hour RN care. They get paid $42/hr which is $360,000/yr. If I can patent a few inventions (merely ideas at this point), I might be able to sell them. Even if I earned 500K per year, I would end up with almost nothing after taxes and all my medical expenses. There is no insurance company in the world that covers full time nursing care. It seems like I only have the right to my life but not to liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

quincy

That is ultimately my goal. The problem is, I am not able to make enough money fast enough to get off Medicaid. My situation is more grim than most. Due to Muscular Dystrophy, I cannot do anything for myself and require 24 hour RN care. They get paid $42/hr which is $360,000/yr. If I can patent a few inventions (merely ideas at this point), I might be able to sell them. Even if I earned 500K per year, I would end up with almost nothing after taxes and all my medical expenses. There is no insurance company in the world that covers full time nursing care. It seems like I only have the right to my life but not to liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
If you plan to discuss the ideas you eventually hope to turn into inventions that are patent-eligible (e.g., novel, nonobvious), you should have non disclosure agreements in place before discussion, to protect your ideas from development by another or others.

Good luck.

Arhimidis

I'm a severely disabled man living in Minnesota. I need a ventilator to breathe and require 24/7 nursing care. My only income is $400/month in SSI. I live with my mother, in her house and can barely pay my expenses. I can only own $2,000 in assets according to Medicaid rules. I am a very creative person that longs for freedom to create without the state taking away my medical care.

If I invent something and get a patent that my mother pays for, could I make her the assignee with no monetary compensation to me without violating any rules and/or laws? What about giving her a copyrighted, but unpublished manuscript that I write?

As far as I know, the monetary value of Intellectual Property can not be easily determined unless it is sold, licensed, or used to earn money in some way.
If you plan to discuss the ideas you eventually hope to turn into inventions that are patent-eligible (e.g., novel, nonobvious), you should have non disclosure agreements in place before discussion, to protect your ideas from development by another or others.

Good luck.
Exactly :) I have asked nurses to sign before. I would never reveal details online.

Arhimidis

I'm a severely disabled man living in Minnesota. I need a ventilator to breathe and require 24/7 nursing care. My only income is $400/month in SSI. I live with my mother, in her house and can barely pay my expenses. I can only own $2,000 in assets according to Medicaid rules. I am a very creative person that longs for freedom to create without the state taking away my medical care.

If I invent something and get a patent that my mother pays for, could I make her the assignee with no monetary compensation to me without violating any rules and/or laws? What about giving her a copyrighted, but unpublished manuscript that I write?

As far as I know, the monetary value of Intellectual Property can not be easily determined unless it is sold, licensed, or used to earn money in some way.
Just to be clear, I want everyone here to know I am grateful for all the care I receive. I just want to make enough to be 100% independent and not trying to screw the tax payer. I am trying to find a legal solution where I can earn enough to pay my way without government assistance.

Arhimidis

Something else to bear in mind.... depending on your mother's age/health, you want to be careful of shutting her out of the ability to qualify for Medicaid. And yes, elderly often need to rely on Medicaid to get care - Medicare doesn't cover all needs.
That is good advice. Thank you.

quincy

Just to be clear, I want everyone here to know I am grateful for all the care I receive. I just want to make enough to be 100% independent and not trying to screw the tax payer. I am trying to find a legal solution where I can earn enough to pay my way without government assistance.
That's an admirable goal. :)

You will probably want in the future the assistance of a local legal professional, to assist you in reaching that goal.

I wish you good luck with your writings and inventions.

Arhimidis

That's an admirable goal. :)

You will probably want in the future the assistance of a local legal professional, to assist you in reaching that goal.

I wish you good luck with your writings and inventions.
Thank you :) I will definitely consult a professional when the time comes.

commentator

commentator - s/he doesn't want to do that - s/he wants to let Mom get the financial benefits so s/he doesn't lose his/her medical assistance, My point is that s/he should bear in mind that doing so may cost Mom assistance if the invention/whatever earns enough to bump her over the threshhold, but not provide enough to really help her/them.
Okay, I see that now about how this OP is wanting to transfer the earning to his mom. However, in my experience with public assistance programs, a windfall sometimes happened, and it usually was dealt with constructively by the agency and the people receiving it, so that no one in the situation lost benefits they truly couldn't afford to lose. Of course the OP is worrying way too far in advance.

justalayman

So who is going to foot the bill to attempt to patent your inventions? It isn’t cheap.

quincy

So who is going to foot the bill to attempt to patent your inventions? It isn’t cheap.
Here is a link to the USPTO fee schedule, 2018: https://www.uspto.gov/learning-and-resources/fees-and-payment/uspto-fee-schedule

From idea to patent, it is not unreasonable to expect a cost over $10,000 (although it is possible to accomplish this for half that). Patent funding might be available from investors or through crowdfunding.

All things considered, it is generally less costly to be a writer than an inventor.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">