• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disabled parent went through forclosure, no ejectment filed yet, new deed holder is trying self help eviction and shut off utilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dyno89

Just to be clear...your mom IS fighting this by forcing the OWNER of the property to jump through hoops, even though everybody knows that, if not for the stall-tactics, your mom would no longer have any right to stay in the property.
I'm glad you have such compassion for a disabled senior citizen who has lived at a property for almost half a century and raised her family there. She is still legally entitled to be there until this process is completed and this post sale portion is just part of that process. Thanks for the great advice!

quincy

Here is another link, to a guide for Pennsylvania senior citizens (includes housing advice):
http://www.pabar.org/pdf/guidelegalservicessc.pdf
If you are planning on moving your mom to your own home, it might be best for your mom to move sooner rather than later. Although I can understand how attached your mom is to the house, after living there so long, the next few months in a house she no longer owns (with a new homeowner who seems anxious to get her out) will not be happy ones.

Good luck.

dyno89

Here is another link, to a guide for Pennsylvania senior citizens (includes housing advice):
http://www.pabar.org/pdf/guidelegalservicessc.pdf
If you are planning on moving your mom to your own home, it might be best for your mom to move sooner rather than later. Although I can understand how attached your mom is to the house, after living there so long, the next few months in a house she no longer owns (with a new homeowner who seems anxious to get her out) will not be happy ones.

Good luck.
Thank you again for the link and info, it has not been an easy process.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm glad you have such compassion for a disabled senior citizen who has lived at a property for almost half a century and raised her family there. She is still legally entitled to be there until this process is completed and this post sale portion is just part of that process. Thanks for the great advice!
The process that led up to the foreclosure was not a rapid one. She has had a long time in which to prepare for this, including finding alternative housing arrangements.

justalayman

His advise since he is in another part of the state was to have a local lawyer file the motion to have the water turned back on since its a local motion that has to be filed. So far I have not been given a definative answer locally whether we can do this without a lawyers help bc we have contacted a dozen local lawyers and none have wanted to bother with it.
Your mother could do it herself if she is capable of understanding and complying with the process. She would have to represent herself in court, you cannot do that for her.

quincy

One of the organizations linked to previously should be able to provide the mother with some guidance - but the mom will want to act quickly.

dyno89

The process that led up to the foreclosure was not a rapid one. She has had a long time in which to prepare for this, including finding alternative housing arrangements.
Completely innacurate. Do you know how long it takes to get someone into senior housing? My guess would be no. Around here it can take 2-3 times as long for something to open up. You should not assume things when you don't have all the facts either. Her disability and financial issues that led up to this were not a rapid one but the actual forclosure and sale process do not take all that long in certain cases. She struggled to keep her bills and mortgage all paid till the last possible minute. . :unsure:

Last edited:

dyno89

Your mother could do it herself if she is capable of understanding and complying with the process. She would have to represent herself in court, you cannot do that for her.
She has the onset of a type of dementia, so no she cannot handle it all herself. There is also a power of attorney situation that is trying to be resolved as well. I didn't want to write a novel at the start of this, thats sort of why I was trying to zero in on just the ejectment and utlities issue part of this specifically.

justalayman

She has the onset of a type of dementia, so no she cannot handle it all herself. There is also a power of attorney situation that is trying to be resolved as well. I didn't want to write a novel at the start of this, thats sort of why I was trying to zero in on just the ejectment and utlities issue part of this specifically.
Then hire an attorney. You cannot represent your mother regardless of a poa or anything else unless thst anything else is a bar card

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Why can't she stay with relatives until the senior housing situation is resolved?
Because it is better that she is squatting in a house with no one else around her even if she has the onset of dementia. :rolleyes: Because that way there will be more for OP to inherit if mom doesn't have to spend money on rent right now. And why would OP want to care enough to take mom into his house?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">