• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disabled parent went through forclosure, no ejectment filed yet, new deed holder is trying self help eviction and shut off utilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'll ignore your non-attribution of the source for the moment (except to say that plagiarism is frowned upon - you should cite your source).

The case COULD take between 6-9 months to litigate, but if she doesn't FIGHT it, then it won't take that long. If she files an answer that admits to everything, then the other party will move for a summary judgment and, viola, the case is done.

dyno89

His advise since he is in another part of the state was to have a local lawyer file the motion to have the water turned back on since its a local motion that has to be filed. So far I have not been given a definative answer locally whether we can do this without a lawyers help bc we have contacted a dozen local lawyers and none have wanted to bother with it.

dyno89

There isn't a PA. Attorney that volunteers here...and the chances of one of our members having this same experience is almost nil. You should spend the money and have a local attorney advise you.
Good to know, had no idea what region this site covers, thanks

dyno89

I'll ignore your non-attribution of the source for the moment (except to say that plagiarism is frowned upon - you should cite your source).

The case COULD take between 6-9 months to litigate, but if she doesn't FIGHT it, then it won't take that long. If she files an answer that admits to everything, then the other party will move for a summary judgment and, viola, the case is done.
Not accurate what so ever. We have already been told by the ejectment defense lawyer that its going to be 6-8 months from the time of filing and that he will handle the response that will buy that timeframe. You really should only post if you know what you are talking about.

Zigner

His advise since he is in another part of the state was to have a local lawyer file the motion to have the water turned back on since its a local motion that has to be filed. So far I have not been given a definative answer locally whether we can do this without a lawyers help bc we have contacted a dozen local lawyers and none have wanted to bother with it.
Then she may have a problem, which brings you back to finding other living arrangements for her.

Just Blue

Not accurate what so ever. We have already been told by the ejectment defense lawyer that its going to be 6-8 months from the time of filing and that he will handle the response that will buy that timeframe. You really should only post if you know what you are talking about.
Please don't be rude to the volunteers here. If you don't agree with their comment(s) ignore it.

Zigner

You've been told by an attorney that the action may take 6-8 months. However, as I said, if mom doesn't fight it, it won't take that long. You have stated that mom won't fight it, so it won't take that long. If your mom fights it, she needs some grounds to fight it on...what are those grounds?

Instead of spending several thousand dollars on a futile fight for a few more months, it would make more sense to spend that money on alternative housing for your mom.

dyno89

You've been told by an attorney that the action may take 6-8 months. However, as I said, if mom doesn't fight it, it won't take that long. You have stated that mom won't fight it, so it won't take that long. If your mom fights it, she needs some grounds to fight it on...what are those grounds?

Instead of spending several thousand dollars on a futile fight for a few more months, it would make more sense to spend that money on alternative housing for your mom.
sigh, we have already paid the lawyer in full to handle the ejectment action in court which is a 6-8 month process in the way it is going to be handled. And this ejectment action response is not thousands of dollars. A drawn out litigation would be but for the 6-8 month timeframe that is not the case. I said she is not fighting it as far as dragging out a long term litigation, the proper response will be filed though to give the 6-8 month timeframe only.

dyno89

Ask the attorney to do it. He doesn't have to travel there to do it.
As I have said, we have been advised by him on that part of the ejectment and he has given a 6-8 month timeframe. I am sorry for arguing with you on this, but I was just looking for advise simply on the aspect of the utilities being illegally shut off and the deed holder attempting an illegal self help eviction to avoid the court process.

Zigner

Just to be clear...your mom IS fighting this by forcing the OWNER of the property to jump through hoops, even though everybody knows that, if not for the stall-tactics, your mom would no longer have any right to stay in the property.

Zigner

As I have said, we have been advised by him on that part of the ejectment and he has given a 6-8 month timeframe. I am sorry for arguing with you on this, but I was just looking for advise simply on the aspect of the utilities being illegally shut off and the deed holder attempting an illegal self help eviction to avoid the court process.
The ATTORNEY should be handling this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">