• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disabliliy Insurance and Social Security

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

3conners

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My husband has been receiving LTD since February 2003 due to illness. He last worked in July 2002. In October 2002, he applied for Social Security Disablility. He was awarded this in May. His check in May was back pay for Jan.-March and the regular amount for April.

When he was applying for the LTD through his employer, he notified the company that he had also applied for SSD. This was included in the insurance companies application.

He has received a letter from the insurance company stating that he owes over $4000 that must be paid in 10 business days.

At first I asked if this were legal, and I have answered my own question, yes.

Our daughter receives money from the ssd insurance because of her father.

Can the insurance company include the amount our daughter receives when figuring the amount we owe back?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

C

CIAA

This will depend on the specific wording in your disability plan related to exactly what other benefits can be used to offset the LTD payments. If it does not specifically extend to "dependents" then I would condider appealing the decision.

Additionally, if SS reduced the retro payment because of attorneys fees they paid to your attorney, these may not be subject to offset based on in Great-West Life & Annuity Insurance Co. v. Knudson.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">