• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disappearing emoticons

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
When I compose a post and insert an emoticon, that emoticon promptly disappears if I do anything else in the post — continue typing, apply format changes (like the type of font, etc), cut and paste, or whatever. The emoticon only stays if I insert as the very last thing I do before hitting the button to send the post. I've tried it on Chrome, Firefox, and Safari browsers and it acts exactly the same way on each, so it does not appear to be browser dependent. I also did the usual stuff like clearing cache, restarting my computer, etc. This is the only site I have that problem with, so I wouldn't think it an OS related bug. I do run a Mac though, so it may be that the site's coding somehow does not play nice with Mac browsers. :(

Just Blue

When I compose a post and insert an emoticon, that emoticon promptly disappears if I do anything else in the post — continue typing, apply format changes (like the type of font, etc), cut and paste, or whatever. The emoticon only stays if I insert as the very last thing I do before hitting the button to send the post. I've tried it on Chrome, Firefox, and Safari browsers and it acts exactly the same way on each, so it does not appear to be browser dependent. I also did the usual stuff like clearing cache, restarting my computer, etc. This is the only site I have that problem with, so I wouldn't think it an OS related bug. I do run a Mac though, so it may be that the site's coding somehow does not play nice with Mac browsers.
I had that issue yesterday...also was given a "LMAO like" that showed up in my alerts but not on the actual post.

LdiJ

It disappeared for me too, even if I just hit the space bar before submitting.

adjusterjack

Now using firefox.

Disappeared this time.

By hitting the space bar.

Didn't touch the space bar, but it disappeared when clicked "post reply."

quincy

Thank you for calling them by their real name. I still call them emoticons and refuse to use whatever it is that people call them nowadays (emojis?).

Thank you.
Emoticons are text-based (using dashes and parentheses and asterisks, etc. that are found on a keyboard) and emojis are pictures. Emoticons were used more frequently before emojis were created.

This is a happy face Emoji = :)
This is a happy face Emoticon = : - )

Last edited:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I've noticed my emojis disappearing today as well.

And I just noticed it does it before I even post the message.
And there is another weird problem that I experience here. When I compose a post and then go back and, say, bold a sentence in the second of four paragraphs, the bolding is properly applied to that sentence in the second paragraph, but then the two following paragraphs (or how many paragraphs there are that follow the one with the change) get bolded too. It's weird and its a bit aggravating, because I then I have to go to those following paragraphs and turn off the bolding that should never have been applied in the first place.

quincy

And there is another weird problem that I experience here. When I compose a post and then go back and, say, bold a sentence in the second of four paragraphs, the bolding is properly applied to that sentence in the second paragraph, but then the two following paragraphs (or how many paragraphs there are that follow the one with the change) get bolded too. It's weird and its a bit aggravating, because I then I have to go to those following paragraphs and turn off the bolding that should never have been applied in the first place.
I have taken to manually inserting the B and the I in brackets because it is less trouble.

And I find the emojis work sometimes and other times they disappear. It has been sort of hit or miss. But they DO tend to disappear when I hit the space bar.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">