• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discharged now what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mperry60

What is the name of your state? NY

Hi all!

Received my discharge on 4/19. I checked Pacer today and I see that my case is still awaiting closing 31 days later. My case started out as a Chapter 7 no asset case but was turned into an asset case because of an apprx. $1000 tax refund.

So, my question--is it normal for a case to still be open a month after discharge and what exactly does it mean that it's still open. Should I still be careful how I use my checking account? Should I not try to apply for new lines of credit? I'm just worried that if I do something wrong the trustee will re-open my case and this nightmare will start all over.

Any advice?

bigun

Well, assuming you have surrenedered your refund, closing will occur shortly.
At the bk forum at www.creditboards.com we've a few memebers who filed in Oct. and it was March and April before the case closed. They live in large cities that got slammed by filings.
I'd not buy or sell signficant personal property until closure but, nobody is monitoring your bank account or anything like that.
Call your court clerk mon. and ask to speak with your case manager and ask how long until closing.

mperry60

Thanks Bigun. But what about applying for new credit before closure? Is this a no-no? I'm anxious to start rebuilding but I really don't want to screw anything up with my case.

Some have told me that the closing of a BK case is just a foramality anyway and that the discharge is really what you're after. Is this true?

bigun

Closing is a formality in the vast majority of cases.
I'd say go ahead and apply for credit since you have your discharge.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">