• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disclosure of money owed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Celiahester

NEW HAMPSHIRE/
I went to see a new eye doctor, when the office called my previous eye doctor for my prescription they told the office girl that they would not send it because I owed the doctor money. Was it legal for them to tell my new eye doctor that I still owed them some money?

quincy

NEW HAMPSHIRE/
I went to see a new eye doctor, when the office called my previous eye doctor for my prescription they told the office girl that they would not send it because I owed the doctor money. Was it legal for them to tell my new eye doctor that I still owed them some money?
The office must release a copy of your records upon written authorization from you. It is not legal for your old doctor to withhold these records from your new doctor even if you owe your old doctor money. You might be billed for copy costs, however.

As to the office worker saying you owe money, it is not illegal if true.

adjusterjack

NEW HAMPSHIRE/
Why don't you have your copy of the prescription?

Celiahester

Why don't you have your copy of the prescription?
They never gave me one and I had not asked because I used to get my contact/glasses there but then found out that they were way over priced and went somewhere else. By the way I fully intend to pay them and I am not even over 30 days late, I just received the bill 3 weeks ago
But I felt like I had to explain this to the new office and it was embarrassing

quincy

They never gave me one and I had not asked because I used to get my contact/glasses there but then found out that they were way over priced and went somewhere else. By the way I fully intend to pay them and I am not even over 30 days late, I just received the bill 3 weeks ago
But I felt like I had to explain this to the new office and it was embarrassing
Embarrassment is not compensable.

You are entitled to have your records from your old doctor forwarded to your new doctor but I suggest you pay your old doctor soon. Until you do, new doctors might be reluctant to take you on as a patient.

quincy

Celia, Stay off other members threads ...you have no idea what the heck you are talking about.
After reading Celia's contributions elsewhere, I agree.

Celia, one purpose of this forum is to dispense accurate information to help a poster with their legal issues. When you post inaccuracies, it not only does not help anyone, it can, in fact, be harmful.

I suggest you concentrate on getting your first eye doctor paid so another eye doctor will take you on as a patient.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">