• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discord App - Mature NSFW 18+ area in a Discord Server

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KellyArch

To Whom It May Concern,

I am not sure if there is anything that can be done or if anyone can offer any advice to a situation that occurred to me while I was a member of a Discord server, I joined this server at the request of the owner and I believe that I joined in and around August or September of 2017. Things began fine, I was welcomed into this group of gamers by many members. When I joined, I went into the group with the best of intentions and even offered fifty years of experience and knowledge to the discord server owner, who in the beginning accepted and appreciated my feedback. On Oct 25th 2017, I was ban from the discord owners server and I was never told or made to understand what I had done wrong to justify my ban, the only thing I was told by the owner was " i am torn and very upset over this situation. I genuinely thought you meant well and genuinely loved having you around. I've seen too much now. You need to cease contacting the younger members in DMs and you need to leave the server. You can still DM me, and i still care. I'm beyond upset with you and the things i've now seen but i truly think you're a good human who's going through a tough time" He would also make a confusing statement that at the time, I honestly did not understand, which was "However, you have gone way too far and i don't believe there's any need to elaborate there." I was never given a chance to ask "Gone to far about what, or elaborate on what" because I would be ban from the server he operated. It wasn't until several days later, after I was ban that I would start learning the truth, one of the members had accused my account of saying "inappropriate" things to a minor, which I could not believe and continue to deny even until this day, but this member would show a JPG file of a supposed conversation between my account and his, were I was to have stated that this person was cute, and that I would ask other questions I denied saying. The discord owner refused to listen, since I was a newbie to his ban of gamers, he basically accused, took me to trial, and exiled me without ever questioning me. I would later discover that childish behavior was taking place within this group, members would use Microsoft Paint Shop to alter or change text to basically say something different than what was originally intended, other behavior would have members changing a statements meaning to say something else, for example a question would be asked what was your favorite superhero and the response would be Dick Grayson, then the same person that accused me of inappropriate behavior to the discord owner would ask "So you like Dick" leaving off the Grayson, to change its meaning and the response was Yep. To make this situation even worse, administrators and moderators would inform me that the person I had to complain was a minor of 14 years of age, but I would discover that this minor of 14 was posting within a Mature NSFW 18+ area from almost the beginning until the present day. There was even a remark made by this person within that channel that he was in school and that his teacher had almost seen him with an inappropriate image open, had he not closed it as the teacher passed. Because I was never given a chance to tell my side of the story to the owner and group, and because I was left in the dark, it all resulted in members assuming, drawing false conclusions, and believing that I was a prettier of children and that I was a child molester, because of misunderstandings, confusion, possible fake text alterations, etc. While I deny the supposed evidence, even if I had said any of the things I was accused, I was lead to believe that this individual was over 18 years of age and not a minor as claimed, because he was and still is entering a 18+ area. I have complained to the Discord's abuse department, made them aware of all this, but I do not feel that I have been treated fair or right and I was wondering if it would be in my best interest to seek legal advice, based on all that has transpired. I would welcome any advice or feedback and if there is anything more I need to elaborate on, please feel free to ask. Thanks for your time. :)

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I have complained to the Discord's abuse department, made them aware of all this, but I do not feel that I have been treated fair or right and I was wondering if it would be in my best interest to seek legal advice, based on all that has transpired. I would welcome any advice or feedback and if there is anything more I need to elaborate on, please feel free to ask. Thanks for your time. :)
I’ll start with just a bit of background on Discord in case you or others reading this thread are not familiar with how the service works. Discord is a voice and text communication program that is primarily used by computer gamers to coordinate group gaming activities, like dungeons and raids that require groups of players to do. It has not been around long but has become very popular with players of a lot of games, supplanting programs like Ventrillo (Vent), Mumble, and the originator of this kind of service, Teamspeak (TS). The services get their names from the software that enables the communication.

An example will best explain how it works, I think. Suppose that I am the leader of a guild in an online game that has dungeons with monsters in it that require groups of players to kill. The fights require coordination to do successfully, so it really helps to have everyone able to talk to each other during the fight to give out directions, hear warnings of dangers in the fight, etc. I contact a firm that hosts servers for the particular voice communication program I want the guild to use. So if I want to use, say, Vent I'd contact a company that provides Vent hosting and set up the service to match my needs (e.g. number of channels, quality of sound, etc). Once it is set up the hosting company gives me a server address to give out to people to use to join the conversation.

So it’s much like handing out a phone number for people to call into a conference call. The server hosting service is like the phone company. It provides the communication lines, analogous to the phone lines used in a conference call. I am like the conference call organizer. I decide who gets invitations to the call and I decide who gets banned. Not the vent hosting company, not the software creators.

And that is the crux of the issue for you as I see it. Discord is not the one who decides who joins that Discord channel. Just like the phone company does not decide who can join a conference phone call. It just provides the communication (phone) lines. The leader of the group you joined — the discord channel owner — makes the decision of who gets to join. Private groups of gamers, like the guild I run in my example, are not subject to the laws against illegal discrimination nor are they regulated as businesses are. They are free to admit or exclude anyone they want for any reason. So the leader of this group could ban you from the discord server and didn’t have to give you a reason why nor give you the chance to explain your side of things. While I think it would have been better for the leader to have discussed it with you first and try to sort out what was really going on, no law requires that.

Now, the person who lied about your conversations with others might have potentially defamed you and you could possibly sue for that. But if that person is a 14 year-old kid, he’s not likely to have any significant assets you can go after should you win the lawsuit, and it would cost you money in legal fees and other costs to pursue it. Considering that in the end all it apparently cost you was exclusion from this group and not any financial loss, you might not win a lot in damages to make it worthwhile even if the kid was wealthy.

Yes, I know it hurts being excluded from a group that you enjoyed participating in. But the only way to fix that is repair relations with group leader and the group as a whole. That may take convincing them that you did not do what the kid claimed you did. If you succeed, perhaps the kid will be the one banned and you'll be back in. Assuming that’s what you’d still want at this point.

quincy

To Whom It May Concern,

I am not sure if there is anything that can be done or if anyone can offer any advice to a situation that occurred to me while I was a member of a Discord server, I joined this server at the request of the owner and I believe that I joined in and around August or September of 2017. Things began fine, I was welcomed into this group of gamers by many members. When I joined, I went into the group with the best of intentions and even offered fifty years of experience and knowledge to the discord server owner, who in the beginning accepted and appreciated my feedback. On Oct 25th 2017, I was ban from the discord owners server and I was never told or made to understand what I had done wrong to justify my ban, the only thing I was told by the owner was " i am torn and very upset over this situation. I genuinely thought you meant well and genuinely loved having you around. I've seen too much now. You need to cease contacting the younger members in DMs and you need to leave the server. You can still DM me, and i still care. I'm beyond upset with you and the things i've now seen but i truly think you're a good human who's going through a tough time" He would also make a confusing statement that at the time, I honestly did not understand, which was "However, you have gone way too far and i don't believe there's any need to elaborate there." I was never given a chance to ask "Gone to far about what, or elaborate on what" because I would be ban from the server he operated. It wasn't until several days later, after I was ban that I would start learning the truth, one of the members had accused my account of saying "inappropriate" things to a minor, which I could not believe and continue to deny even until this day, but this member would show a JPG file of a supposed conversation between my account and his, were I was to have stated that this person was cute, and that I would ask other questions I denied saying. The discord owner refused to listen, since I was a newbie to his ban of gamers, he basically accused, took me to trial, and exiled me without ever questioning me. I would later discover that childish behavior was taking place within this group, members would use Microsoft Paint Shop to alter or change text to basically say something different than what was originally intended, other behavior would have members changing a statements meaning to say something else, for example a question would be asked what was your favorite superhero and the response would be Dick Grayson, then the same person that accused me of inappropriate behavior to the discord owner would ask "So you like Dick" leaving off the Grayson, to change its meaning and the response was Yep. To make this situation even worse, administrators and moderators would inform me that the person I had to complain was a minor of 14 years of age, but I would discover that this minor of 14 was posting within a Mature NSFW 18+ area from almost the beginning until the present day. There was even a remark made by this person within that channel that he was in school and that his teacher had almost seen him with an inappropriate image open, had he not closed it as the teacher passed. Because I was never given a chance to tell my side of the story to the owner and group, and because I was left in the dark, it all resulted in members assuming, drawing false conclusions, and believing that I was a prettier of children and that I was a child molester, because of misunderstandings, confusion, possible fake text alterations, etc. While I deny the supposed evidence, even if I had said any of the things I was accused, I was lead to believe that this individual was over 18 years of age and not a minor as claimed, because he was and still is entering a 18+ area. I have complained to the Discord's abuse department, made them aware of all this, but I do not feel that I have been treated fair or right and I was wondering if it would be in my best interest to seek legal advice, based on all that has transpired. I would welcome any advice or feedback and if there is anything more I need to elaborate on, please feel free to ask. Thanks for your time. :)
Were you and the others using real names?

There is nothing you can do about the banning except plead your case for inclusion. Apparently you have already told your story to the one hosting the group and now it is left to him whether to lift the ban. Because of what you experienced in the group, however, I am not sure why you would want to be a member anymore anyway.

Defamation requires personal identification and reputational injury. If real names were not used and you were not identifiable by context, and if your reputation has not been demonstrably harmed, you would not have enough to support a defamation lawsuit.

It seems best to accept that you are no longer allowed to participate in the group and move on.

Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">