• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discovery: How To Make The Best Of It?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chiquito

What is the name of your state? New York

I am now entering the discovery process regarding my upcoming child support trial for downward modification of support. (I've just hired an attorney but the agreement is that I'll be doing a lot of the groundwork to save money.) I strongly suspect that the child care costs are inflated by my ex and that she is not revealing all the sources of her income. So please help me with some insight on the following questions:

1. What are the things I should be looking for to make sure that my ex-wife does not hide any source of income so I am bombarded with enormous child support obligations? Does the tax return capture all income?

2. During this discovery, how to challenge the child care costs that she claims?

3. How to make the best of the discovery to make sure I get all the relevant information so I can gain leverage to eitheir arrive to a settlement out of court or success if there a trial?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
chiquito said:
1. What are the things I should be looking for to make sure that my ex-wife does not hide any source of income so I am bombarded with enormous child support obligations? Does the tax return capture all income?

>> Her tax return should include all of her income, unless she's hiding income. IN which case you could subpoena bank records, etc - but you'd need account info, etc.

2. During this discovery, how to challenge the child care costs that she claims?

>> Has it occured to you to contact the child care center for receipts, or to ask the court that she be required to provide them?

3. How to make the best of the discovery to make sure I get all the relevant information so I can gain leverage to eitheir arrive to a settlement out of court or success if there a trial?
A hell of a lot of legwork.

nextwife

Really. My daughter's day care provider, a YMCA child care in the neighborhood has a web site with rates and fees for various schedules and ages. One can just download them and print. Otherwise, ask her current provider to fax you their fee schedule, and get some from several other providers in her district.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">