• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrepancy between address and what the City recognizes as the front.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I live on a circle. Both end of the streets terminate on the same main road and there are no side streets or alternate routes. Once you are on Maple Circle (not the real name) you can go west to Main or you can go east to Main but you're not leaving Maple without going to Main.

The resident of the house on the west corner of Maple and Main, which faces on Main, has a fence up. The town made him replace it three times before they accepted it. It's STILL a sight hazard. Sometimes a car can be as close at three car lengths before you can see it. Someone's going to get killed there someday and I just hope it isn't me or one of my family. I'll go east towards Main even if I plan to be turning west when I get there, just so I know I can see any traffic.

The resident at the east corner doesn't believe there's a sight hazard either.

quincy

I live on a circle. Both end of the streets terminate on the same main road and there are no side streets or alternate routes. Once you are on Maple Circle (not the real name) you can go west to Main or you can go east to Main but you're not leaving Maple without going to Main.

The resident of the house on the west corner of Maple and Main, which faces on Main, has a fence up. The town made him replace it three times before they accepted it. It's STILL a sight hazard. Sometimes a car can be as close at three car lengths before you can see it. Someone's going to get killed there someday and I just hope it isn't me or one of my family. I'll go east towards Main even if I plan to be turning west when I get there, just so I know I can see any traffic.

The resident at the east corner doesn't believe there's a sight hazard either.
Fences (and hedges) fronting the streets on corner lots often are required by cities to be short so drivers’ views are not blocked.

I agree with adjusterjack that a Google view of the area would help, as would the ordinance number said to be violated.

Sorta2

Update: Finally got an explanation from the city. I don't like it but it is the first actually explanation I have received after months, almost a year, of asking the city;
Setback, Front. “Front setback” means the required minimum distance between the front lot line and any structure, building or use.
“Lot line, front” means the lot line dividing a lot from the street. On a corner lot, only the shorter lot frontage shall be considered as the front lot line (see Section 19.39.075 for corner sites with more than one lot).

My fence is on the shorter lot frontage. Now I need to think of a new fence design, they will let me go up to 72" as long as it has 30% transparency.

LdiJ : it's a fence on a corner where there was no fence previously, so in that aspect it does effect the visibility, but as long as one is driving the speed limit down this residential street the fence does not effect the visibility of other cars approaching the intersection. It's actually a T-junction intersection.

Thanks for all the replies

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Yeah, that's what the guy at the end of my street thinks too. But when I try to see whether there are any cars coming down Main that are ready to cream me when I turn off of Maple (from a dead stop) that fence prevents me from doing so.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">