• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrepancy of Hire Dates

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lmd16

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I was not sure how to list this. I was hired as a substitue for Head Start on Nov. 8, 2005 and I subbed for them off and on throughout the next two years. The last time I subbed was from March 2007 to May 2007, and then there was a position available and I was hired on July 25, 2007. At that time my title was "Recruiter" because I came back early to recruit children for the school year beginning in August of 2007. Then, on Aug. 8 my title changed to Home Visitor.

I was told my benefits would begin after 90 days, and those began on Oct. 1, 2007. I was sent home from work on Oct. 10 because my boss said I was too sick to be there. I was told I had to use "leave without pay" - even though I had accumulated sick time. I was told I was still in my 90 day probation period and could not use accumulated time yet. I asked how that was possible since my benefits began on Oct. 1 and it was past 90 days. I was told they were using the hire date of 7/25 for my benefits, but would use 8/8 as the hire date for sick leave, etc. Now, today, I receive a letter of discipline because I used leave without pay within my 90 day probation period.

My question: Can they do this? Can they use two different hire dates? Can they use one date for benefits and use another for leave? Isn't 90 days 90 days? Please advise.

Thanks.What is the name of your state?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
They can because no law says they can't. I don't think they are managing things terribly well but I can't see any legal violations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">