• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrepency in arrest and judgment paperwork

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kbenites

What is the name of your state? Florida

My family member was setenced to a 364 for a misdemeanor battery. The judgment filed with the courts states misdemeanor battery. However his arrest affidavit (he was arrested after his trial) shows that he was arrested for felony sexual battery. He was told that because the charges dont match that he could be released. The arrest affidavit also states his information incorrectly (race, age, weight, etc...), although I dont know if that matters. My question is, can he in fact be released because of the charges on the paperwork not matching

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My family member was setenced to a 364 for a misdemeanor battery. The judgment filed with the courts states misdemeanor battery. However his arrest affidavit (he was arrested after his trial) shows that he was arrested for felony sexual battery. He was told that because the charges dont match that he could be released. The arrest affidavit also states his information incorrectly (race, age, weight, etc...), although I dont know if that matters. My question is, can he in fact be released because of the charges on the paperwork not matching
That would be a great thing for your family member to ask his attorney.

quincy

Can he be released? Possibly.

His attorney would be able to answer the question with greater certainty.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The problem I see is that the guy was already sentenced. It's entirely possible that the charge was modified at some point, whether by a plea agreement, or simply because the prosecutor felt that this was the charge that could be sustained.

quincy

The problem I see is that the guy was already sentenced. It's entirely possible that the charge was modified at some point, whether by a plea agreement, or simply because the prosecutor felt that this was the charge that could be sustained.
It sounds like he was arrested by mistake. None of the information matches.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">