• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimation against disabled veteran

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Docwood

A company called Perpay just denied me credit because they won't accept my Award Letter as proof of income. The sent me a message stating they don't finance people who receive SSI or disability. Is this not a violation of Federal Law?

Just Blue

A company called Perpay just denied me credit because they won't accept my Award Letter as proof of income. The sent me a message stating they don't finance people who receive SSI or disability. Is this not a violation of Federal Law?
What state are you in?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It appears that Perpay takes payments directly from your paycheck. Since you don't have a paycheck from which payments can be deducted, you are unable to take advantage of their service.

LdiJ

It appears that Perpay takes payments directly from your paycheck. Since you don't have a paycheck from which payments can be deducted, you are unable to take advantage of their service.
Yep, consumer debt cannot be directly taken from SS Benefits.

LdiJ

I understand that; however, I receive PERMANENT disability every month which is direct deposited into my account. Doea this not violate Federal Law?
No, if the company's policy is that all payments must be direct debited from your source of income, and your source of income does not permit direct debiting, then you cannot use their services, period.

PayrollHRGuy

I understand that; however, I receive PERMANENT disability every month which is direct deposited into my account. Doea this not violate Federal Law?
They don't Direct Debit from your account. You authorize a deduction from your wages. In other words, an employer pays them not the buyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">