• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination against Heterosexuals???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arizona woman

What is the name of your state? Arizona
I work for a company which has recently been purchased by a Nationally known larger company. When they came in, they offered Domestic Partner Healthcare Benefits, which I chose to take advantage of, as my partner is in a profession where changing companies is the norm. Now, I have been informed, we will not have this benefit after the end of the year. The company will continue to offer Domestic Partner benefits, but only to same sex couples. Is this legal???

arizona woman

Right now, I prefer not to name the company.. but you would definitely recognize the name. Does it matter? If so, I will reply privately.

Beth3

Yes, it is legal. Your employer isn't obligated to include domestic partners as eligible dependents at all and the majority of employers who choose to do so typically only offer them to same-sex DP's. Heterosexual partners have the option of having a legally recognized union and thus enjoying the benefits and priviledges of marriage. Same-sex life partners do not have the same options.

You'll find the vast majority of employers will not extend benefits to your live-in partner. If you want the benefits of being married, then you'll need to get married.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And to add to that, and emphasize the point, I live in the one and only state where homosexuals are able to marry, and since that time, employers around here are dropping same-sex domestic partners as being eligible dependents, since they now also have the option of marrying.

Last edited:
S

seniorjudge

arizona woman said:
What is the name of your state? Arizona
I work for a company which has recently been purchased by a Nationally known larger company. When they came in, they offered Domestic Partner Healthcare Benefits, which I chose to take advantage of, as my partner is in a profession where changing companies is the norm. Now, I have been informed, we will not have this benefit after the end of the year. The company will continue to offer Domestic Partner benefits, but only to same sex couples. Is this legal???
I keep hoping for someone to litigate this; I think it is blatantly unconstitutional.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
On the other hand, at least in the states that protect sexual orientation, isn't it unconstitutional to forbid homosexuals the benefits of marriage?

Or do we not want to go down that road?

S

seniorjudge

cbg said:
On the other hand, at least in the states that protect sexual orientation, isn't it unconstitutional to forbid homosexuals the benefits of marriage?

Or do we not want to go down that road?
I don't really think we will settle the issue here, but marriage means a man and a woman in a legal union. I have no objection to legal unions for homosexuals, but it is not marriage.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I could give you an arguement but you're right; we won't settle the issue here.

rmet4nzkx

A very large coporationwith operations in many states, allowed many special interest groups to exist and use company facilities and advertize in company publications, some of the groups recognized included gays and lesbians, however when a group formed representing heterosexuals they were the denied the same access as allowed the special interest groups, they were told it was discrimination! Go figure!

S

seniorjudge

rmet4nzkx said:
A very large coporationwith operations in many states, allowed many special interest groups to exist and use company facilities and advertize in company publications, some of the groups recognized included gays and lesbians, however when a group formed representing heterosexuals they were the denied the same access as allowed the special interest groups, they were told it was discrimination! Go figure!
Don't get me started.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">