• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination and workplace hostility after requesting a reasonable accommodation and using FMLA leave (both approved)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Utexas

State: Texas

I have worked for a state Agency for just over a year and a half. I was granted FMLA leave on 2/15/19, which I use intermittently, and was recently given a reasonable accommodation and recognized as having a disability under the ADA 2.5 months ago. I believe I have experienced discrimination and retaliation after formally filing and receiving an RAR, after my employer attempted to revoke my telework priviliges.

Background: I was permitted - a mutually agreed upon informal accommodation, mediated through civil rights- for over one year to telework 2 set days per week (as all staff are), and any other time as needed- which has varied in amount depending on my illness, which prevents me from being able to leave the home and increased in severity in February, when I applied for and was granted intermittent FMLA leave to manage symptoms and seek treatment.

Fast-forward to May, when a colleague complained about the amount of time I was allowed to telework and not in the office. This person has a history of negative job performance, and has had attendance issues.

I have never received a negative performance review, received a merit increase and a promotion in title during this time, all while working from home over 50% of the time- even a 4 week period as prescribed by my treatment team (my boss was fine with this). I was offered a much higher position in another part of the Agency in March- but had to decline as they could not accommodate telework.

After the complaint, my boss consulted her supervisor ("Director"), who responded by revoking my telework permissions entirely. I was told I was now expected to be in the office exclusively (no telework).

In short, I simply could not do this due to my disability, which I made the mistake of not having recognized by a formal RAR from the get-go. All other staff in my position, and under my boss are permitted to telework 2 days per week, even those without a disability. I filed and was granted a formal RAR allowing 2 days of telework and have had to use FMLA leave during other times when I have been unable to commute.

During the RAR review process, 6 days after I filed the request to continue to be allowed to telework as an accommodation, my job duties were revoked, including my role as the attendance and leave organizer. I was told no staff would now be ables to view attendance/leave requests as I believe my use of leave was called into question, but was told it was for "safety and security reasons".

I have never had an issue, and have always honestly recorded my leave, no question. I also had nearly all my other duties and access as an administrator to software revoked with no explanation given over the last month.

Two days ago, I learned that all other staff except myself have access to view their time and leave records, and have been able to do so always, despite my supervisor telling me the contrary. I confirmed I am the only staff member unable to see their leave records and was singled out.

While I was training someone, I also observed a fellow employee tell them via message that I was "special", and to be patient with me. This was hurtful, and I did report it to my supervisor who offered to discipline the person.

Lastly, my supervisor commented that I have used FMLA leave more frequently last week, and cast my increased need for treatment and time away from the office- still within my allottment, never more than 3 days consecutively off, in a negative light. Other staff have taken 12-14 weeks off uninterrupted.

The "Director", who initiated the ban of my access alone and subsequent removal of duties was dismissed from the agency one month ago for reasons I'm not clear on, but I was not the only staff member who experienced difficulty. There were other incidents, and I have been given different treatment than other staff in ways I am allowed to communicate with my supervisor, request leave, and report my work.

My question is: Does all this add up to discrimination? Do I have enough evidence to mount a strong case to retain my job and either be transferred, or reverse the environment which has now become toxic?

I fear I will be dismissed at this point after my protected leave runs out, and this situation is causing extreme anxiety and stress. Particularly to learn that I have been lied to in addition to having my duties taken away.

Thank you for reading this- I know it's long- and any guidance or advice you can offer.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Let's separate the FMLA from the ADA. They are two different laws, with two different purposes and two different sets of eligibility criteria. It does not always follow that being eligible for one means being eligible for the other, and if one is violated by the employer it does not follow automatically that the other is violated as well.

Please clarify for me: exactly how much FMLA time did your doctor certify? Am I reading it correctly as up to three days a week?

Let's get that part established before we move on to the ADA.

Utexas

Let's separate the FMLA from the ADA. They are two different laws, with two different purposes and two different sets of eligibility criteria. It does not always follow that being eligible for one means being eligible for the other, and if one is violated by the employer it does not follow automatically that the other is violated as well.

Please clarify for me: exactly how much FMLA time did your doctor certify? Am I reading it correctly as up to three days a week?
Let's get that part established before we move on to the ADA.
I was certified for up to 5 days a week if needed. I have not needed and have not taken that much. I am still also under the 480-hr/12 week maximum for this rolling calendar year.

I also understand that they are separate. I wanted to share that I have protections and have been approved for both. I am considered a qualified individual with a disability (RAR), AND have medical condition (s) for which I am entitled FMLA leave.

Thank you for your help!

commentator

If you work directly for the state, in a state agency such as the Department of Labor or Commerce or Health you have an EEOC officer who will be able to work with you. You have both a departmental HR and an overall State of TX HR department. And the state is very well organized and concentrated on not violating civil service and EEOC policies. That said, they'll be very up on the whole FMLA, ADA and your personal HR situation. I wonder from your Utexas poster name if you work for the University of Texas (higher ed) instead of the state of Texas. If so, cbg is your good source here.

Utexas

If you work directly for the state, in a state agency such as the Department of Labor or Commerce or Health you have an EEOC officer who will be able to work with you. You have both a departmental HR and an overall State of TX HR department. And the state is very well organized and concentrated on not violating civil service and EEOC policies. That said, they'll be very up on the whole FMLA, ADA and your personal HR situation. I wonder from your Utexas poster name if you work for the University of Texas (higher ed) instead of the state of Texas. If so, cbg is your good source here.
Thanks- I attended UT for education, but am employed by a State Agency (Health and Human Services).

Utexas

Thanks- I attended UT for education, but am employed by a State Agency (Health and Human Services).
I also wanted to add I have reached out to Civil Rights and HR a number of times. They will not answer my questions other that to provide forms to file an investigation and suggest agencies at the federal level (EEOC, Texas Workforce Commission, Dept. Of Labor for FMLA) to help me with the process.

My main question was, due to the complex nature of ADA and FMLA laws and the fact that I am covered under both, I want assistance in knowing if what occurred is a violation of my Rights under either,and which one if possible.

Basically, I need help advocating for myself. HR and Civil Rights will not help me "build a case" or even comment on past behavior by staff who are no longer with the Agency, so I am having trouble knowing how to handle what did- and still is happening so it can stop and I can protect my job and rights. I was not able to access policies or laws with the resources available to me at my employing Agency, unfortunately. Their directive is to protect the interest of the State.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I am not seeing a violation of FMLA, at least as you have described it. I am less sure that you don't have an ADA violation - I think it's quite possible that you do. However, one reason I did not respond to this post until prompted is that my experience with the ADA is all in the private sector and it works a bit differently than in the public. So I would follow up with the EEOC officer for your agency, as commentator suggested - she has more public sector experience than I do. If you can't get a satisfactory response there, then do contact the Federal EEOC or the Texas Commission of Human Rights (the state equivalent) and see what they say. I think your situation is a bit too complex for a message board.

You also might want to speak to an employment attorney in your state. Many give free or low cost consultations. If you do, come back and let me know what they say.

@Taxing Matters, do you have anything to add?

Utexas

CBG,

Thank you very much for the insight and thoughtful response. My next step was to attempt to locate an attorney to at least provide initial guidance. I have worked in policy, and legislation as part of my job, so I do have a fundamental understanding and know how to interpret statutes, but not enough knowledge to navigate these type of discrimination laws proficiently.

The potential FMLA violoation was the instances recently where my supervisor commented that I had missed work frequently recently, and comments like, "I need you to come to work", when I have asked for leave and let her know I have continuing medical needs. I was told I should be able to ask for, and receive the leave available to me without any sort of retaliation or punitive action for taking this leave- in the form of comments as well as progressive removal of duties (which I am capable of performing), when I used leave in compliance with all the related policies in place.

Again, many thanks. I appreciate your knowledge- you are a great resource. I'll check back to let you know what I learn and see if anyone else has insight, related experience or know of local free or low-cost legal resources (Austin) to weed out potential scams and save time.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the comments do not result in your losing time to which you would otherwise be entitled, it's quite frankly not worth the effort to take any action. She isn't required to be happy about having a good employee out.

ARE you being relieved of duties? That was not clear above, at least to me, and might change my response somewhat.

Utexas

Yes. I have been relieved of nearly all my duties of any significance, despite an increasingly high vacancy rate and need for work in our department. This began less than one week after requesting the formal RAR in response to my telework privileges being revoked.

I was asked to train other staff to take over at least 3 of my core duties, with no explanation as to why this was happening, or substitution with other similar work. I'm capable of completing all these tasks and have done so for >1 year. On 8/1/19, I had access revoked to a software platform for which I was the primary of two administrators and told i was no longer assigned those duties any longer.

Bottom line: I have had nearly all my duties of significance removed since requesting a RAR and utilizing leave more frequently. I always ensured my deadlines were met and never had a complaint regarding work quality. I want to work and feel as if I'm a contributing member. This is another primary motivator for seeking action at this point to return to a job which is not menial in nature- it's beneficial to my mental health.

Last edited:

commentator

I also have seen some people delicately relieved of their most basic duties, though the state system is very much bound by civil service and as I said tends to be very conscious of EEOC and ADA violations. What it comes down to, though they can't terminate you, they pretty much have the ability to change your job responsibilities, don't have to give you the particular assignments and jobs you seek and feel you deserve in your place of work, those that you'd prefer, that would be meaningful to your mental health. But do they really have to legally keep you there doing what you used to do?

Sometimes I've seen them change job descriptions to the point of being barely there, though continuing to employ the person and accommodate the ADA requests until the person just gives it up and goes away. At this point, I would suggest a discussion with a good employment attorney might scare up a real grievance for you to work through with them and give you guidance about whether what they are doing and how they are treating you is legal. But I'm sadly thinking it probably is.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I didn't realize that. In that case, yes, I think your employer is likely violating both FMLA and the ADA. By all means talk to an employment attorney.

PayrollHRGuy

I have to agree with @cbg in that this is well beyond what can be handled on a forum other than to suggest that you contact a lawyer with both EEOC and ADA experience as soon as possible.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">