• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination at my job

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bigfella

Work is going to fire me over something that everyone in the same department does. I was pulled into an office stripped of my badge. Told not to come back or talk to anyone until they call. I have see numerous violations others have done. Along with a violating my hipaa rights. We are moving to a new location and feel like they’re are forcing me out because of my MS. I’m not as fast and strong as I use to be, but do above average work for my company.

Bigfella

Using company resources without a formal request even though my supervisor said it was ok. Everyone in this area does what I did and gets not punishment.

As far as the hipaa, the employee asked if I thought a test was positive or not. That sample was mine and he even wrote on the paperwork that he asked me?!? How intrusive! Sorry I’m just frustrated.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
That is not a HIPAA violation, not as you've described it. Not even close.

Nothing in the law says everyone has to be treated identically. You're not giving us any information that clearly supports illegal discrimination. From what we have the best we can give you is, Maybe; maybe not.

HRZ

Here is one other view...they can fire you at any time for the violation of any rule ., even a dumb rule . it matters not if everyone else is also in violation...selective enforcement is fair game ...

OK give us the rule you supposedly violated ? ..personal use of company property..that's pretty generic .

Look, I have no doubt that in some situations folks are singled out for special attention to try to catch them in some violation so as to more easily exit them....but it's not an easy task to prove you were singled out for some improper reason. ...and so far what you post does not even smell of being improper.

IF you mean to suggest that medically risky or unhealthy employees went on a special purge list...you might have a point...but so far ZERO back up .

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Using company resources without a formal request even though my supervisor said it was ok. Everyone in this area does what I did and gets not punishment.

As far as the hipaa, the employee asked if I thought a test was positive or not. That sample was mine and he even wrote on the paperwork that he asked me?!? How intrusive! Sorry I’m just frustrated.
Sometimes it depends on the magnitude of the "company resources" in question... a pencil versus a forklift.

That said, you know your mom told you repeatedly, "... and if your friends jumped off a cliff, would you do it too?"

It is unclear how you are connecting this with your MS.

HRZ

Total long unlikely shot : Was management aware of your MS and did you formally request any sort of accommodation ?

commentator

You say they are "going to fire me" So they haven't fired you yet? When you are fired, you will want immediately to file for unemployment insurance, which will very likely turn out to be your only recourse. The question the will ask you is, 'What happened on the day you were terminated?" and "What did the company tell you was the reason they were terminating you?" and "Had you had any prior warnings that your job was in jeopardy?" You answer these questions, they speak with the company and get their side of the reason for termination, and the unemployment system will determine if you qualify for benefits.

The termination is probably not going to turn out to be in any way illegal. If they have been allowing other workers to do something and then have fired you for doing that same thing, you have a pretty good case for unemployment benefits approval, but not a lawsuit for discrimination unless they had very specific reasons why you were treated differently. And after you've already filed for unemployment, you might want to discuss those issues in your termination with an employment attorney if you think your disability was the obvious reason you were being treated differently, gotten rid of.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">