• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination by Doctor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ljalan

Washington State

Not sure where to post this however my wife and I went to a clinic in Washington State for flu. I was very dehydrated due to vomiting / diarrhea and had a temperature of 101 degrees. We were taken to different rooms. The PA who saw me just blew me off, refused to do any tests, and refused to give me any medication including Tamiflu and Nausea medication. She told me to go home and take "Children's Motrin". I was denied even basic re-hydration.

My wife on the other hand was treated appropriately. Full testing and she was taken care of even though her symptoms were not nearly as bad as mine. I was clearly ill when I walked in and could barely stand.

It is unfortunate but here in Spokane I have been treated poorly for absolutely no reason. I understand there is a lot of racism in this area and I try not to take it personally. However, in the instance of a medical professional, I have to do something about this if I can.

I am Native American and my wife is Caucasian which are really the only differentiating factors. I have no medical history because I never see a doctor and I am pretty healthy. I was most definitely not impolite or anything less than professional so there is absolutely no reason to be treated like this.

Is there anything I can do? / Should I do anything about it?

Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Interestingly, it seems that they got it right. You were fine after following their directions.

quincy

Washington State

Not sure where to post this however my wife and I went to a clinic in Washington State for flu. I was very dehydrated due to vomiting / diarrhea and had a temperature of 101 degrees. We were taken to different rooms. The PA who saw me just blew me off, refused to do any tests, and refused to give me any medication including Tamiflu and Nausea medication. She told me to go home and take "Children's Motrin". I was denied even basic re-hydration.

My wife on the other hand was treated appropriately. Full testing and she was taken care of even though her symptoms were not nearly as bad as mine. I was clearly ill when I walked in and could barely stand.

It is unfortunate but here in Spokane I have been treated poorly for absolutely no reason. I understand there is a lot of racism in this area and I try not to take it personally. However, in the instance of a medical professional, I have to do something about this if I can.

I am Native American and my wife is Caucasian which are really the only differentiating factors. I have no medical history because I never see a doctor and I am pretty healthy. I was most definitely not impolite or anything less than professional so there is absolutely no reason to be treated like this.

Thank you
I do not see anything you can do, if you recovered from the flu without complications.

There could be all sorts of reasons for the disparate treatment that has nothing to do with you being Native American. Your wife might not have presented with clear symptoms of flu like you did, for example.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
The problem I see is that it would be nearly impossible to prove you were discriminated against because of your race just on the facts given. You and your wife were seen by two different medical professionals. Yours lacked the beside manner that hers apparently has. If the PA that saw you treats everyone the same regardless of race then this was not a racial issue. It then is just the difference in the way two different PAs handle patients.

ajkroy

Influenza rarely presents as vomiting/diarrhea, so it sounds like you had a GI issue. Also, Tamiflu is only for patients within the first 48 hours and only mitigates the symptoms. 'Basic rehydration'? Do you mean to say they did not offer you water? Or were you expecting a clinic to start an IV?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">