• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination for being single?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

THISCANTBERIGHT

What is the name of your state?Texas
During the Coronavirus epidemic, my employer is cutting my hours and giving them to a married employee with kids..

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the name of your state?Texas
During the Coronavirus epidemic, my employer is cutting my hours and giving them to a married employee with kids..
There is a whole debate to be had about whether that's the right thing to do. I can see competing views on that. However, nothing in federal law or Texas law makes it illegal to discriminate against an employee because his/her marital status or because of his/her status as a parent or being childless. In short, whether it is the right or wrong thing morally, it's not illegal.

zddoodah

No, it's not right. But it might not be illegal as long as you are getting minimum wage.
That doesn't make any sense.

If the employee is paid at least minimum wage for time worked, the the employer is not violating the minimum wage laws. However, employment discrimination based on marital status is a separate thing from wage and hour laws. Of course, since Texas does not appear to make it illegal for employers to discriminate on the basis of marital status, it ultimately leads to the same conclusion.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">