• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination/ Harassment/ Retaliation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WA
Hi, I am an afro caribbean foreign worker/LPR legal permenant resident, I've been employed at my job 10mos now wit only 4 ethnic employees 3 black & 1 asian, ive been subject to harassment, racial discrimation and retaliation, 1: Harassment started few weeks into the job, still new still learning and when something goes wrong, the asst mgr always run coming & yelling at me for the problems when it wasnt me and when i say it's not my fault i did'nt do it, he walks away without asking other employees who did it. 2 Retaliation, i work graveyard and i've been noticing every other employee except me been gettin they nights off in a row while im the only one who get "split shifts" which for example i work sunday im off mon work tues off weds, and its very tiring and i had to suffer through that for 2months in a row until i finally spoke to the head mgr about it and he finally spoke to his asst mgr and it stopped, so since it stop,i realised my hours been gettin lower and lower every week and the 1st thing i thought it's him retaliating on me because i complain against him! and he never gave me an equal opportunity to learn or do other things at the job, when he hires new ppl they get more hours than i do and for the past few weeks now my hours been droppin from 37 a wk to 28hrs/wk and this happens to only the ethnic rraces? 3rd discrimination, one employee said some nasty racial slurs towards me and i filed a statement the same day which was friday may22 09 and the head mgr wasnt in til the upcomin monday so i gave it to Person in charge who then gave it to the asst mgr who held it for a week and without givin the head mgr, so for that week i had to be calling the EEOC, my job's cooperate headquarters and they finally had to call my job last friday 29th may to find out whats goin on and requested statements from my witnesses who heard what he said and today june 4th they finally fire or suspend the employee who said the raciall remarks to me about the black race...im writing this to find out where to i stand, is this discrimination or what it is and what steps can i take to pursuit a lawsuit or do i have a case against my job?
PS, its many many more issues i have i just dont want to type it all out.. and im not the only ethnic employee who's finally speaking out against this treatment we're getting in this workplace..

mlane58

You have already contacted the EEOC and they will be the ones to make the determination as to whether you have a valid claim or not. As to pursuing a lawsuit, you cannot do that until the EEOC gives you a right to sue letter. Once you get the right to sue letter, seek out an employment attorney and let them decide whther you have a case to sue or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">