• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination, Harassment, Threats of Violence, Termination, Final Paycheck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

atsiegel

I was recently terminated due to yelling at my boss. I have anxiety, for awhile, he kept calling me a clown, due to small jokes I would make as part of my ticks when I started feeling pressure, it was not intentional, and I explained this to him several times, yet he continued to call me a clown after telling him several times to stop. He also made comments about my weight, has once threatened me with physical violence. I was terminated on April 4th. We are paid on the 15th and 30th. I was suppose to receive a bonus for the homes I closed in March. I had assumed everything would be on my final paycheck on the 15th. It was not, when I asked about it and I was told they are discretionary and will be paid on the 30th. I have that last part in email. I don't know what to do, but this just doesn't feel right.

atsiegel

Sounds right to me. Your regular pay is being paid on the next regular payday, and your bonus wages are to be paid on the 30th., which they will say is the earliest calculable time.

https://www.labor.nc.gov/workplace-rights/employee-rights-regarding-time-worked-and-wages-earned/payment-final-wages
okay. What about the other issues? I have no clue what to do regarding that or if I even have a leg to stand on. Then I see this guy in Kentucky who had an anxiety attack over a birthday party he told his boss not to do get nearly $450k. Do I let this go? Is this even worth time dealing with? Again, I just don't know what to do, but I get treated this way and I'm the one that gets terminated...it just doesn't sit right.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You are free to discuss the matter with a local attorney. Oftentimes, cases such as this may be taken on a contingency basis.

Just Blue

okay. What about the other issues? I have no clue what to do regarding that or if I even have a leg to stand on. Then I see this guy in Kentucky who had an anxiety attack over a birthday party he told his boss not to do get nearly $450k. Do I let this go? Is this even worth time dealing with? Again, I just don't know what to do, but I get treated this way and I'm the one that gets terminated...it just doesn't sit right.
Did you let your HR dept know what your boss was doing?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The reason that Kentucky story was in the news is that it was - news, as it, not the usual state of affairs. And it was a different set of circumstances. Talk to a lawyer if you think you have a actionable case, but to be honest with you I don't. Not on the basis of what you've posted.

atsiegel

The reason that Kentucky story was in the news is that it was - news, as it, not the usual state of affairs. And it was a different set of circumstances. Talk to a lawyer if you think you have a actionable case, but to be honest with you I don't. Not on the basis of what you've posted.
Thank you. That's what I needed to hear. It makes it easier just to let it go.

Reactions: cbg

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
It's a small company, there is no HR. Just the Owner. I tried reaching out to him a few times but couldn't ever really get a hold of him. my boss was a VP.
How small is it? If it has less than 15 employees total then federal employment discrimination laws will not apply.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">