• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination in Kansas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mogray

Friday night, February 18, shortly after 11:00 p.m., as I approached the front door of my place of employment to depart, I had my uniform folded and hanging on my left arm (as I always do when leaving the store), and our new assistant manager was sitting by the door and started to motion with his index finger for me to go where he was sitting. For a moment, I thought he was going to offer some words of praise, but to my surprise, he "grabbed" my uniform from my arm without saying a single word and “physically searched my pockets” inside the store and in front of customers. I asked if it was a joke or what was he doing? No answer was ever offered by him. After he was done searching, and without offering an explanation for his action, he looked up at me and said: “Have a Wonderful Night.”

I am in a total state of shock, and disbelief of his behavior towards me. I checked with all the other employees that left right after me Friday night and none of them was personally searched as I was.

I have been with this company for almost 8 years and have a spotless record with the firm. I believe that what was done to me was uncalled for, inappropriate, and humiliating.

I’ve talked to the store manager and he told me that he was not sure of the rules. Can they search people like that? I know for sure that it’s illegal to do it to a customer.

Is this worth pursuing or is this just a cruel act of humiliation?

Thank you for your time.

Marge

A

Attorney_Replogle

Each state is different as to their laws regarding how far an employer can go to protect itself against theft by an employee. Whether it is worth pursuing for you, I would leave that up to you and your attorney to decide. You can speak to an employment law attorney near you by finding one at attorneypages.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">