• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Ben123

I'm a foreigner studying at a university in indiana.

I have earned top grades in all my classes except one. In that class I ranked 30% a opposed to my usual top 8% ranking

This professor lacks a transparent grading system and when I asked him how I could better my performance he told me:

"don't worry, you're a good student, except that you're not American."

This professor recently settled-out of court on a sex-related discrimination charge (at-least that's what I interpret from the newspaper articles).

All I want is fair grading.

D

dorenephilpot

That comment certainly could be construed as racial discrimination, which would be impermissible in a state-supported university.

One problem is that it'll be your word against his, unless someone else heard it or you know of others against whom he has made similar comments and who would therefore give more credence to your statements.

Another problem is that once you make an allegation like that, you might be perceived as a "problem" student by other professors -- and this guy might be able to make your life a living hell to boot.

Given all of those potential negatives, if you decide you still want to proceed, you should probably go to the professor's department head first. Then if you don't get satisfaction, go to the administration. Then if you don't get satisfaction, you might consider contacting an attorney and/or the Indiana Civil Liberties Union.

vrzirn

30% is a long way from 8% and it is unlikely your race, age, color, or shape had anything to do with that grade. If you really wish to improve speak to some of the students who did well in that class and ask if you may review their work.
You do not mention the subject and perhaps your spoken English had something to do with the grade received.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">