• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

discrimination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Ann DeLuca

I have worked for my employer for over 20 years. I have asked for certain benefits which he has denied me. I received a job offer from a company which he has determined a competitor. If I choose to work for this company, it will greatly increase my salary and supply more benefits than my current employer will allow. My employer found out about my negotiations with this other company. He called me to his office and started a tape recorder. I asked him why he was taping the conversation and he told me it was for my and his benefit. I told him that I was not comfortable with this and he shrugged. He then told me that he had heard I had accepted a job from this other company and he had to make two phone calls because of this. He asked me if this was true. I told him that I was looking into it. He asked me when I will know for sure. I told him it would be about two weeks. He then insinuated that I would take customers and vital information to this other company. I have never signed a non-competative agreement with him. I want to know if taping the conversation against my will was legal, and if I choose to let certain customers know about my move after I have switched employment would be legal. I also feel that through the years I have been discriminated because of my gender. I would like to know where to get information for this.I'm from Indiana.

[This message has been edited by Ann DeLuca (edited May 16, 2000).]

A

Attorney_Replogle

I am not sure whether the taping of you and your boss at work was lawful in your state. You can find all the laws of your state at www.findlaw.com.

Or, you can consult with an employment law attorney near you. Many give free initial consultations. You can find one at attorneypages.com.

------------------
Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">