• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

discrimination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state?FL....

Well hell y'all I have been an applicant to this union, trying to get a job as a helper ( The UA) at least 6 mo before the "dummy" test and the interview, where they asked me questions like ...."Did you ever work on a CS(Construction site) before? Do you have reiable transportation?.....Why do you want this job?....". I told them That I need a job to take care of my 2 kids. , That I had recently found myself single with wo boys and I need a way to support them.......And they asked "So what are you going to do with the kids?".I have Child care and a support system in place to take out any slack....I also explained that "It is not too late to learn a new thing"....and that "I am not affraid of breakin a nail or getting dirty... I have no problem workin hard for my money...."

They denied me. They didn't give a reason ..."But they regret to inform me that I was not amoung the ones accepted"...

Well the last time that a female was accepted in this Union was at least 2 yrs ago (ONLY 1 female has made 5th year)......and they say I am not the only one ( female) this year.......but I was there...So I know....

At first I didn't want any special treatment cause I was a woman.....But now....That I(believe) I was denied BECAUSE I was........just want too know if there is anything I can do. If that IS the case.....If I find that I was not equally worthy then Fine... I will accept that. AND That may verywell be the case.....

But at this pont ....If I was denied entry into an apprenticeship program....ONLY because I was a Female...What action can I take?

Last edited:

Beth3

You are free to file a complaint of discrimination with your State's equal rights division or the federal EEOC. However without knowing the qualifications of the candidates they did accept into the apprenticeship program, it's impossible to say whether you have a viable claim or not.

P

Peety

When I was attempting to join my union .....

I asked what the entry requirements were. I also asked what an acceptable score on the "dummy test" was. I also asked how many applicants were applying, and how many slots were open.

Interviewers are usually (somewhere between amused and intrugued) by my presence, as I'm usually tossing almost as many questions their way as they toss in mine. I also tend to field a few questions (at least one anyway) in a manner they are not accustomed to. This behavior helps me to standing apart from the crowd in the ratings, plus I am remembered ......... not always liked ...... but remembered. That changes me from a number to a person. Numbers are tossed around as needed, whereas individuals have to be dealt with.

Suggestions:

If you're seriously looking to join an organization where "nails" might be an issue .... get rid of them before the interview, and somehow draw attention to the fact (without stating it) that you don't have nails to break. Say, "May I?" while setting your back-pack (not purse) on their desk, holding it with one hand with your (lack of) nails showing, while digging it for something (a small note-pad and pen) with your other hand quickly (signifying organization skills).

Jot down notes during the interview, it demonstrates your sincerity to follow through. Don't be too overbearing, or too submisive but above all else ~ Assume success. The last question of the interview is always yours, and should be, "When will you be making your decision about the acceptance of my application?" Write down their answer. Follow through.

Good luck !!!!!

Oh jeese .... old thread ........ sorry all. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">