• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discrimination???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Atuggle26

What is the name of your state? Indiana
I've been at this job for 12 years. I've been denied advancement for the last 6 years. I applied for a supervisor position back in 2012 and was told during my interviews that I was qualified for the job but this might not be the place to do it. Well a year or so later another the gave someone I worked with a Production coordinator position that was never posted and than I had to train her how to do my job. She quit a year later and they opened a production assistant position I inquire about it and I'm told it would be a latteral move me. So I didn't apply for it. It turns out it would have been a promotion because after they hired the person for the job the title changed to production coordinator. So years later the position opens again and I apply. I later find out a supervisor from a different department has applied for the job also. He ended up getting the job. This past july I had a hand injury and was off work for a few weeks. I get a phone call from a friend at work that tells me that my employer about to start interviewing for a supervisor position again. I've o ly been off for 2 weeks at this point and it wasn't posted before I left and job posting at my job are always up a month or so before they start interviewing.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You have posted nothing to suggest that this is illegal discrimination. It is possible - not by any stretch of the imagination definite, but possible - that additional facts might change the answer.

Atuggle26

Ok well I left it out but I'm African American and everyone that has moved up has been white. We all have had some college education.

Atuggle26

All my performance review have been great. The two people that become production coordinators were hired after me and I trained both of them.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Although it is possible that this is illegal discrimination, if you were advanced previously it is unlikely that they would suddenly decide to stop promoting you because of your race. It may be that they are too happy with you where you are and don't want to have to pay you any more. It is possible that while they are happy with you in your current position they don't think you are up to the next level. It could be any number of things.

Does your girlfriend work in HR for your employer or somewhere else?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">