• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Discriminatory Pay Practice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

workedtodeath

What is the name of your state? La.

I have really learned alot reading and posting on this website. I Thank ALL of you for your insight on these issues.

It was brought to my attention the other day by one of my co-workers, that they feel there are some unfair pay practices going on in our work place. Sales goals are set each "period" (some are 4 week periods, and some are 5 week periods) with no rhyme or reason to the scheduling of the period. I know that we have no control over that. When the goals are set, they are changed several times during the "period". It has come to the attention of several of my co-workers that their goals are put totally out of reach every "period", while others are changed to insure that they achieve their goals and recieve their bonus monies.

The question that we are all wondering is, Can this be classified as unfair pay practices?

The manager is a female, the "recipient" is a male, and all the other workers in that department are female. It is observed on a daily basis that the manager and recipient spend lunch hours together, and the recipient goes to all schools with the manager, while all the others get nowhere.

Beth3

The pay practices you describe are legal - as long as decisions regarding who has attainable goals and who does not are not made on the basis of gender, race, national origin, religion, and so on. If that is happening, then it is prohibited discrimination.

Pay practices simply being unfair (for example, the boss's pets getting a better deal) are not illegal though.

W

workedtodeath

The problem we have is that the goals are changed frequently during the period. For instance, my goal was set the first week of the period, I obtained that goal during the third week, and 2 days into the foruth week(3days prior to end of period), my goal was raised to an unobtainable point. This same practice was done to my other co-workers. The "recipient's" goal was decreased at the same time to insure that the goal was made. This is the way that "manager" does things while other goal paying departments within our business have their goals set and not changed one way or the other. I guess at the least it is favoritism.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">