• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DISH Network Piracy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joe645

I am in Nevada. Some Some six years ago and even longer, I joined many in paying for what was referred to as IKS TV. A service that provided High End TV and PayPerView
events broadcast via paid for codes. Is there a statute of limitations on being charged with any theft of satellite piracy?

xylene

Are you being charged? Sued? Send collection notices?

Bluntly, you need to look over your shoulder forever more or less, at least for civil ramifications, though the likelihood dimishes over time.

Could you flesh out what is actually happening, because I don't think it is a sudden change of conscience.

quincy

I am in Nevada. Some Some six years ago and even longer, I joined many in paying for what was referred to as IKS TV. A service that provided High End TV and PayPerView
events broadcast via paid for codes. Is there a statute of limitations on being charged with any theft of satellite piracy?
There is a five year statute of limitations for a criminal proceeding and three years (or reasonable discovery) for a civil action.

Just Blue

That would be a great question for your criminal defense attorney if, and when, you are charged. Until then...Go Forth and Sin No More.

FlyingRon

As pointed out the providers you ripped off could certainly sue you and they could also make a complaint to your local municipality. It's not the case that people haven't been charged with theft of services over such things.

I suspect the site you got the info from, if in the US, is in bigger trouble. This is a federal crime. I guess they are not in the US and at least pretend not to offer these in the US anymore.

I would recommend that you STOP stealing content and if anybody comes inquiring, refuse to speak to them. If you get a collection notice or the like, write back with the details. To answer your question, if the amounts stolen range above $650, then the Nevada SOL is four years. It's five years on the federal statute.

(I'd insert the Simpson's "So You've Decided to Steal Cable" reference if the forum allowed such).

quincy

DISH has not been exactly shy about pursuing satellite network pirates, for trafficking in technology designed to circumvent copyright protection systems and infringing copyrights. There have been numerous suits filed, with several suits filed last year, and damages awarded against the satellite pirates have been in the multimillion dollar range.

Certainly if joe receives notice of infringement, he will want to seek out legal assistance from an IP professional.

LdiJ

I just googled IKS TV and it looks like it could be a legit TV service provider. I didn't see any claims that it wasn't.

OP, what prompted your question about satellite piracy?

FlyingRon

It is not, it's a company sells information on how to break the copy protections on satellite and internet TV boxes.

quincy

I just googled IKS TV and it looks like it could be a legit TV service provider. I didn't see any claims that it wasn't.

OP, what prompted your question about satellite piracy?
Here is a link to a DOJ release from November, 2018, which tells of the types of arrests being made in these satellite network piracy suits. These cases have been and are being heard in several different states.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/three-puerto-rican-men-arrested-federal-charges-dish-network-services-piracy-scheme

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">