• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dishonest Employer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ShannenShannen

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

I'd like to know if I have any recourse to take legal action against my former employer. When I took the job with company A in Investor Relations I had another offer from a different company, company B, in their Marketing department. All of my job experience is in marketing and I expressed this to Company A and asked why the job they were offering would be a good fit. I was promised that I would work with the marketing department and have exposure to the front office (which is where all the marketing is done). I was only introduced to the front office during the interview process and did not meet anyone in my department, though I did not know the 2 were separate when I accepted the position. So I took the job in Investor Relations which turned out to be in the back office and very accounting heavy, something else I was never informed of. In December I was given a 26% bonus which I was told was above the firm standard (25%) and a raise. In my contract it states that bonuses are discretionary and based on individual performance. A month later I was told I was being terminated because of my performance. I had not been given any warning and in fact, when given my bonus I was told it was a percentage higher because of the great job I was doing. I received similar praise in my performance review which my manager wrote and signed. Can the bonus and raise be considered an implied contract of employment? Can I hold Company A responsible for misleading me into accepting the position and missing out on the other opportunity from Company B? Thank you for taking the time to read this and your input.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Only an attorney in your state can say whether you have a case for detrimental reliance based on a review of all the facts; assuming your state recognizes detrimental reliance at all (not all states do).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">