• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dismissal From Private School

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WeThePeople

What is the name of your state? California

What are your rights from being dismissed from private institutions in California? My wife was about to get her PHD, and now the school has decided to dismiss her from the program with one week from graduation!!! They claim she committed fraud at the internship she spent a year at, so hence the reason for the dismissal. The allegations were made by her superiors, but we didn't get any proof of evidence. Are they allowed to dismiss anyone for any reason they deem necessary for dismissal?

We have been in shock and depressed for the past week... please anyone help us.What is the name of your state?

averad

WeThePeople said:
What is the name of your state? California

What are your rights from being dismissed from private institutions in California? My wife was about to get her PHD, and now the school has decided to dismiss her from the program with one week from graduation!!! They claim she committed fraud at the internship she spent a year at, so hence the reason for the dismissal. The allegations were made by her superiors, but we didn't get any proof of evidence. Are they allowed to dismiss anyone for any reason they deem necessary for dismissal?

We have been in shock and depressed for the past week... please anyone help us.What is the name of your state?
Did you file an appeal with the school? Are her credits transferable?

WeThePeople

We are appealing at the moment, but I'm not sure what they are going to decide. We have never been given any evidence of the fraud they are claiming. The appeal is currently being written up by our laywer, but any advice is welcomed. Thank you for your response averad.

rmet4nzkx

WeThePeople said:
We are appealing at the moment, but I'm not sure what they are going to decide. We have never been given any evidence of the fraud they are claiming. The appeal is currently being written up by our laywer, but any advice is welcomed. Thank you for your response averad.
WHat type of program, internship, professional school or university? What was the claim of fraud? has she already defended her dissertation or project?

WeThePeople

She is part of the Psychology PHD program. Internship is at a methodone clinic which claim that she has overbilled therapy sessions. She has defended her disseration and all exam requirements have been met. Like I said earlier, she was one week away from graduation!

They have not shown us any evidence (while they claim to have it) to date, but the board has recommended she be dismissed. The ultimate decision comes down to one person who will make that decision.

Can you believe this!!! :mad:

rmet4nzkx

WeThePeople said:
She is part of the Psychology PHD program. Internship is at a methodone clinic which claim that she has overbilled therapy sessions. She has defended her disseration and all exam requirements have been met. Like I said earlier, she was one week away from graduation!

They have not shown us any evidence (while they claim to have it) to date, but the board has recommended she be dismissed. The ultimate decision comes down to one person who will make that decision.

Can you believe this!!! :mad:
While she may have completed all her graduation requirements, was the internship/practicum also one of the requirements for graduation, if so, then until this is resolved, she has not completed all the graduation requirements. Please access your user profile and activate your PM feature and send me a PM with the name of the school and we will go from there. It is also very important to note that internships are supervised by licensed providers in her placement, in the end, they are responsible for any errors she made. Did she overbill? Did she take payments directly in her name and not in the name of her supervisor or the clinic? Did she charge clients additional fees? Has she made any complaints or is she a whistle blower? Has the Board of Psychology taken any action?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">