• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

dismissed court support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? ohio

I live in Ohio with 2 kids,12 and 14. The father lived and worked here for most of the children's lives. We were never married. He has not paid child support for years. He sporadically finds a job and tells the support office that he sent a check for $20-30 dollars a few times a year and THEY are ok with that. I've recently been sent a statement claiming that he still owes @ $23,000 to us. We were to have a court hearing over this matter but it has been dismissed because he moved to Texas.
It's bad enough waiting for him to find AND keep a steady job, but now THEY claim that I need to start a new file through Texas to get support. He has told THEM, again, that he has found a job and will send a few dollars and THEY are fine with that. THIS IS A PATTERN THAT HAS REPEATED ITSELF OVER AND OVER FOR YEARS!
Now he has delayed the system even further. Why can't I get support? Why are they allowing him to get away with these meager pay-off's? Am I to wait for another court hearing through Texas and will I have to go there? Does the amount he owe change if it starts over through Texas offices? What happens if he moves back to Ohio again? Does it start over?



No, you don't have to come here. The Uniform Interstate Family Support Act is controlling and that act allows for electronic transfer of information. Enforcement of child support is largely under federal law and federal law prohibits the court from reducing the amount of arrears. The courts are without authority to alter the past and arrears are the past. Only you can forgive arrears. The court does have the authority to modify Arrears just keep stacking up and acquiring interest. The court does have the authority to modify current child support. There are a battery of federal enforcement provision including yanking his driver's license. Be diligent in your pursuit and you will get your money.


Is there anything I can do to get this process of enforcement to move faster? Like I said before, he tells the support services that he's found a new job or he gives a check or two and that's it. It keeps happening this way. This little bit seems to be ok with them. Even my older son laughed when he saw the total owed to us because he knows, like I do, that we will never see that money. It has been harder to finance for these two and he knows this. He's supposed to help and services is supposed to enforce him. I'm not seeing a dime. What actions can I take?


I'd call supportkids and see what they think.

They get a percentage, but what you get of that is better than the nothing you're getting now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential