• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

disparaging remarks

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MCDATX

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

(My apologies if this sounds like a petty issue but it's really bothering me...) My ex and I follow the standard visitation schedule for Texas, I (dad) am the CP of our son.
Two weeks ago, I picked up my son after her thursday evening visitation and on the way home, he became upset out of the blue and asked me if his clothes were ugly. I said no and asked him why he thought that and he told me that his mother told him his clothes are "disgusting." (I'm guessing that she probably did say that because when I picked him up, she asked me who, me or wife, dressed him and then she said, "Ew.")

Last week, my wife picked him up and on their way home, she told me he burst into tears saying that he had to burn our house down. She wasn't sure she had heard him right so she asked him again and he said his mom told him to burn our house down. When they got home, I took him aside and spoke to him privately and he told me again that his mom told him to burn the house down. That he didn't want to because all this toys and books were going to burn. This weekend, he asked my wife if she likes his mom. My wife said something like, "I love your mom, she had you..." or something along those lines and my son said, "my mommy says bad things to you...."

My ex has had issues with my marriage and the good relationship our son has with SM. She filed false abuse reports last fall against us in an attempt to regain primary custody, (they were thrown out, she was slapped on the wrist), the one time my wife (then gf) let her to our home my ex threatened her with violence in front of our son.

I have not spoken her about these things he's been saying to us yet.

Can someone tell me if this is just a parenting issue? Can she say those kinds of things to our son...to burn our house down?? I'm not trying to take her time away or anything but certainly she cannot get away with putting these kinds of things in his little head, right?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

(My apologies if this sounds like a petty issue but it's really bothering me...) My ex and I follow the standard visitation schedule for Texas, I (dad) am the CP of our son.
Two weeks ago, I picked up my son after her thursday evening visitation and on the way home, he became upset out of the blue and asked me if his clothes were ugly. I said no and asked him why he thought that and he told me that his mother told him his clothes are "disgusting." (I'm guessing that she probably did say that because when I picked him up, she asked me who, me or wife, dressed him and then she said, "Ew.")

Last week, my wife picked him up and on their way home, she told me he burst into tears saying that he had to burn our house down. She wasn't sure she had heard him right so she asked him again and he said his mom told him to burn our house down. When they got home, I took him aside and spoke to him privately and he told me again that his mom told him to burn the house down. That he didn't want to because all this toys and books were going to burn. This weekend, he asked my wife if she likes his mom. My wife said something like, "I love your mom, she had you..." or something along those lines and my son said, "my mommy says bad things to you...."

My ex has had issues with my marriage and the good relationship our son has with SM. She filed false abuse reports last fall against us in an attempt to regain primary custody, (they were thrown out, she was slapped on the wrist), the one time my wife (then gf) let her to our home my ex threatened her with violence in front of our son.

I have not spoken her about these things he's been saying to us yet.

Can someone tell me if this is just a parenting issue? Can she say those kinds of things to our son...to burn our house down?? I'm not trying to take her time away or anything but certainly she cannot get away with putting these kinds of things in his little head, right?
GAWD your ex is being horrible...telling a child to burn a house down is appalling...however I am not sure what you should do about it. Probably the first step would be to discuss it with your ex, and to let her know how upset the child was.

Isis1

GAWD your ex is being horrible...telling a child to burn a house down is appalling...however I am not sure what you should do about it. Probably the first step would be to discuss it with your ex, and to let her know how upset the child was.
i'm a little hesitant on telling the ex, it may entice the ex to make it worse since she got a reaction.

but definitely get that child into therapy.

MCDATX

Thank you...
I wanted to wait a little bit to talk to her because my emotions were running high after he told me that. If she hates me, hates my life, hates my wife, that's one thing but I just have a problem with using our little boy to play games.
A part of me was shocked, a part of me was not surprised at all...I always feel like I'm just waiting for her next move.

Thanks again...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">