• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dispensing meds to minor without consent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kelli2433

Why the hell are school officials spanking your child? What kind of school is this?
We are a state that approves of corpral punishment, swats/paddling in school. Which if it is called for then i approve it but my son also is old enough that he has his own opinion, his own outlook, his own values and if he felt that the punishment didnt fit the crime and refused them then who am i to make my child feel a different way, to ignore his values but in turn this cause juvenile to be call, which was a bunch of s***

kelli2433

If your son was given medication without your consent, and your son was not under the jurisdiction of the court at the time of his hospitalization, you are right that this is a problem.

Your son had no adverse reaction to the drug, correct?

I suggest you speak to a lawyer in your area to see what your best course of action is at this point.
Apparently he wasnt cause they had to call to get my consent for a flu shot the day before, they had to call to get my consent for this meds on the forth day when i blew up there phone and his juvenile officer specifically told me, I WAS THE ONLY ONE that could give consent. And no thank god he had no adverse reaction.

Just Blue

We are a state that approves of corpral punishment, swats/paddling in school. Which if it is called for then i approve it but my son also is old enough that he has his own opinion, his own outlook, his own values and if he felt that the punishment didnt fit the crime and refused them then who am i to make my child feel a different way, to ignore his values but in turn this cause juvenile to be call, which was a bunch of s***
You approve of strangers hitting your boy?

smh...

quincy

Apparently he wasnt cause they had to call to get my consent for a flu shot the day before, they had to call to get my consent for this meds on the forth day when i blew up there phone and his juvenile officer specifically told me, I WAS THE ONLY ONE that could give consent. And no thank god he had no adverse reaction.
I am glad your son did not have an adverse reaction. Zoloft should not be given casually.

Under both Section 632.070 and Section 632.110, the parent or legal custodian shall consent to any treatment, shall be advised that they have the right to consult their regular physicians before giving consent to treatment, shall have the right to authorize evaluation and care and treatment, and shall have the right to refuse permission to medicate the minor.

These "shalls" assume that there was not an emergency situation where medication was necessary.

Again, speak to a lawyer in your area. Your concern appears to be a valid one.

kelli2433

You approve of strangers hitting your boy?

smh...
No, i approve of being notified if an employee of the school system thinks that swats are the right punishment, Trust me when i moved to mo and my oldest started school, i signed the paper to not allow swat cuz i went to school up by Chicago, where if a teacher looked at you wrong they were being sued.....but dont make it out to be like i allow strangers to hit my child, there is a paddleing not a full fledged punch.

kelli2433

I am glad your son did not have an adverse reaction. Zoloft should not be given casually.

Under both Section 632.070 and Section 632.110, the parent or legal custodian shall consent to any treatment, shall be advised that they have the right to consult their regular physicians before giving consent to treatment, shall have the right to authorize evaluation and care and treatment, and shall have the right to refuse permission to medicate the minor.

These "shalls" assume that there was not an emergency situation where medication was necessary.

Again, speak to a lawyer in your area. Your concern appears to be a valid one.
I am glad that he didnt either, it could of been an even worse situation, but now i worry about the kids in there, i want to do something not only for my son but for the children that dont have a voice. I have got an appt with a Lawyer tom and no matter what i am not going to stop until my voice is heard you know. And the topping on the cake is i have ALL this recorded, i mean the nitty gritty.

Well thank you for your words and sites to check out.

quincy

When you go to your appointment with the lawyer tomorrow, you will want to go over what you know of the incident at school that led to your son's hospitalization, and you will want to discuss with the lawyer what you know of the treatment provided your son while he was in the hospital. You should take with you to the lawyer's office any documents you were given and any forms you signed.

Good luck.

kelli2433

When you go to your appointment with the lawyer tomorrow, you will want to go over what you know of the incident at school that led to your son's hospitalization, and you will want to discuss with the lawyer what you know of the treatment provided your son while he was in the hospital. You should take with you to the lawyer's office any documents you were given and any forms you signed.

Good luck.
Thank you so much and yes i found out today that i would have a very good chance for a case here but now i have to try and find a pro bono lawyer cuz i am a single mom trying to get disability now and have no extra money.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Thank you so much and yes i found out today that i would have a very good chance for a case here but now i have to try and find a pro bono lawyer cuz i am a single mom trying to get disability now and have no extra money.
Bear in mind that since your son suffered no harm from it you likely cannot win any money damages for this. Second, you can only litigate to deal with what happened to your son; you can't do anything for any other kid who might face a similar situation.

quincy

You can search for a legal aid clinic in your area. They might not be able to help you there but can direct you to free or low-cost legal services.

If you find you are limited to simply reporting the hospital to the State, for violating your right to control the medicating of your son, you should know that the State and the hospital take these violations seriously. Your complaint can impact how minors (and their parents) are treated by the hospital in the future.

Good luck.

kelli2433

You can search for a legal aid clinic in your area. They might not be able to help you there but can direct you to free or low-cost legal services.

If you find you are limited to simply reporting the hospital to the State, for violating your right to control the medicating of your son, you should know that the State and the hospital take these violations seriously. Your complaint can impact how minors (and their parents) are treated by the hospital in the future.

Good luck.
Thank you so much and i am working on trying to find free or low-cost legal help, its not as easy as 1-2-3. Also if i cant get anywhere with that i plan on contacting someone to report the hospital, like i said, along with doing it for my son i would like to stop it from ever happening again to another child. Im also glad to know that they take it serious instead of brushing it under the rug. But even though my son didnt have any reaction or on those lines he is having emotional and mental instabilities from this, so there is damage.

Once again thank you for your help.

quincy

Thank you so much and i am working on trying to find free or low-cost legal help, its not as easy as 1-2-3. Also if i cant get anywhere with that i plan on contacting someone to report the hospital, like i said, along with doing it for my son i would like to stop it from ever happening again to another child. Im also glad to know that they take it serious instead of brushing it under the rug. But even though my son didnt have any reaction or on those lines he is having emotional and mental instabilities from this, so there is damage.

You're welcome, Kelli. I appreciate the thanks.

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

1: If you can't get money out of it, then you want to report the hospital. That makes your claims of an altruistic motive seem suspect.
2: Your son is not having emotional and mental instabilities from this. This was caused by your son's emotional and mental instabilities.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">