• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dispensing meds to minor without consent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kelli2433

My child was in a behavirol hospital for what was suppose to be testing, anyways the hospital proceeded to give him Zoloft without my consent for 3 days being informed i didnt give my consent, now thank god he didnt have a reaction or anything. What can i do about this cuz its not just my child im worried about. Im located in Missouri,

CdwJava

Why was he in a behavioral hospital? Was he there because he was on a mental health hold for a mandatory mental health evaluation? If MO is anything like my state, when this occurs, the state essentially takes temporary custody of the child during that period.

If you feel that this was done in violation of some law or policy, you should speak with an attorney who can evaluate all the facts of your particular situation.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
My child was in a behavirol hospital for what was suppose to be testing, anyways the hospital proceeded to give him Zoloft without my consent for 3 days being informed i didnt give my consent, now thank god he didnt have a reaction or anything. What can i do about this cuz its not just my child im worried about. Im located in Missouri,
Whether the hospital needed your consent depends on facts we don't have. Why was the kid there? Who committed him to the hospital? If you committed him, the admission documents you signed might have provided all the consent the hospital needed. Did the other parent for the child give consent? How old is the child?

There is no lawsuit to pursue in this instance because your child suffered no harm from it. You may, of course, report your concerns to the top official at the hospital and to the state health department.

LdiJ

Testing the child's response to meds is appropriate.
It really doesn't make sense to me though because those kinds of medications take a couple of weeks to fully effect a patient, so I don't understand why testing that kind of medication over only three days would be a valid test. I do agree that testing someone's response to medication can be the proper thing to do, but wouldn't a doctor normally discuss that with a parent first?

kelli2433

Why was he in a behavioral hospital? Was he there because he was on a mental health hold for a mandatory mental health evaluation? If MO is anything like my state, when this occurs, the state essentially takes temporary custody of the child during that period.

If you feel that this was done in violation of some law or policy, you should speak with an attorney who can evaluate all the facts of your particular situation.
He was there due to juvenile being called on couple of kids and cause she seen the anger behind him, so while all this was going on one of the officers had asked me if i would consent to having a mental health test on him, as im not knowing what really is still going on and being the mess i was i said okay......Mind you i was thinking he would go to hospital down the road for a night, then the next day i found out he was 4 hours away at a behavioral hospital, i didn't sign anything cuz the juvenile admitted him.....which juvie was called on these boys cuz my son refused swats say that the punishment didn't fit the crime. Anyways the hospital had called me one afternoon to ask me if i wanted my son to have a flu shot, if so they needed my consent, that day or next is when they gave him zoloft, without my consent. When i asked them about it, they said that his guardian gave consent, well im his guardian, im his mom. So i called the juvenile officer and she informed me that i was the ONLY one that could consent to medicine for him. Then when i called the women who takes care of issues, she informed me that she would look into it and let me know, well i called left msg for her and never heard from here again. I know my child was physically affected by this, but its a behavioral hospital for children that might have mental illness, so how many children before now has this happened to and how many more.

kelli2433

Whether the hospital needed your consent depends on facts we don't have. Why was the kid there? Who committed him to the hospital? If you committed him, the admission documents you signed might have provided all the consent the hospital needed. Did the other parent for the child give consent? How old is the child?

There is no lawsuit to pursue in this instance because your child suffered no harm from it. You may, of course, report your concerns to the top official at the hospital and to the state health department.
Other parent wasnt involved and my son is 12. I also tried reporting it to the hospital and was completely shut down and havent been contacted since.

kelli2433

Forgot to mention that the forth day of this, they called to get my official consent on record cuz my son decided to go ahead and try the medicine, not to mention i have all this recorded.

quincy

Where is your son now?

Was your son, or is your son currently, under the jurisdiction of a juvenile court?

Just Blue

He was there due to juvenile being called on couple of kids and cause she seen the anger behind him, so while all this was going on one of the officers had asked me if i would consent to having a mental health test on him, as im not knowing what really is still going on and being the mess i was i said okay......Mind you i was thinking he would go to hospital down the road for a night, then the next day i found out he was 4 hours away at a behavioral hospital, i didn't sign anything cuz the juvenile admitted him.....which juvie was called on these boys cuz my son refused swats say that the punishment didn't fit the crime. Anyways the hospital had called me one afternoon to ask me if i wanted my son to have a flu shot, if so they needed my consent, that day or next is when they gave him zoloft, without my consent. When i asked them about it, they said that his guardian gave consent, well im his guardian, im his mom. So i called the juvenile officer and she informed me that i was the ONLY one that could consent to medicine for him. Then when i called the women who takes care of issues, she informed me that she would look into it and let me know, well i called left msg for her and never heard from here again. I know my child was physically affected by this, but its a behavioral hospital for children that might have mental illness, so how many children before now has this happened to and how many more.
Please clarify for me...You called the police because the police because your son refused to be swatted?

kelli2433

Where is your son now?

Was your son, or is your son currently, under the jurisdiction of a juvenile court?
My son is home, when all this happened i went through every channel and the juvenile officer released him from hospital and from them to me, but even the juvenile officer informed me that NO ONE except me could authorize anything for my child, even though they had to release him to me she told me that they never had temp custody or anything on him.

quincy

My son is home, when all this happened i went through every channel and the juvenile officer released him from hospital and from them to me, but even the juvenile officer informed me that NO ONE except me could authorize anything for my child, even though they had to release him to me she told me that they never had temp custody or anything on him.
If your son was given medication without your consent, and your son was not under the jurisdiction of the court at the time of his hospitalization, you are right that this is a problem.

Your son had no adverse reaction to the drug, correct?

I suggest you speak to a lawyer in your area to see what your best course of action is at this point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">