• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dispute About Payments For August-resulting In Witholding Of Portion Of Security Dep.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member

I am one of three who lived in apartment during our senior year in college. In accordance with most of the realtors in this town, a lease runs typically from mid-August to mid-August. As a result, the realtor has the tenant pay a full rent for the first August that will be considered full rent for both August's. This was the case in our lease, we paid the rent in full for a lease starting August 14,2004. Our lease was scheduled to end August 13, 2005. Just before the end of our lease we were informed that we owed a pro-rated amount of rent for August 2005. We went to records and knew that we had proof of payment in full from August 2004. We faxed this receipt of payment to the landlord. We were under the impression this was all taken care of. This past week we received a letter with an "itemized" list of what was subtracted from our security deposit. We were charged 352.68 for "Deliquent Account Upon Move Out."

We contacted the landlord who replied "We didn't have time to fix it. Sorry, we needed to get these letters out within 30 days." They told us that we needed to send a letter to management listing our dispute and we could receive our money in 30 days. The thing we don't understand is that this is not a dispute, since we have proof of full payment in August 2004. Now they are holding our money that we feel legal belongs to us.

Can anyone offer advice or further action? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.


kza102 said:
The thing we don't understand is that this is not a dispute, since we have proof of full payment in August 2004.
yes, this is a dispute. they charded you for something and you think they should not have. that is a dispute. do what they say and fax or mail them your information. your only other option is to take them to court.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential