• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dispute over property line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steffb503

NY,
I have 16 acres, half of it is woods. My property borders the town garage. The portion that borders is woods. There used to be large steel posts marking the property line, but those have been removed.
I recently had the property surveyed because i am listing it for sale. The town apparently has been using about 100ft of my property for storage and even a concrete structure to hold gravel.
Things do get a bit tricky though. There is an easement for the NYDEC for a public fishing spot, an easement for NYSEG to access power lines which run parralell to the property line and another to the phone company to access phone lines which run into the property. And there is an easement of 23 ft, for the town garage to enter their property at the road.
The town has now taken the entire strip, from road to river, 750 ft 100 ft wide as their own.
I have been paying taxes on this land, minus the easements, all along.
What is my first step in getting this resolved?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">