• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Disputed Charge due to Online account being Recovered

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deckertyler

Hello, I purchased an OldSchool Runescape account (Account owned by Jagex LTD) from the company Accountwarehouse.I purchased this account on November 1st, of 2018 in the amount of $439.99, upon doing so I gave a photocopy of my ID card and agreed to their ToS contract.

This website is a middleman for an online marketplace for many games, where they buy the account/product from said player, then list it as their own for profit.

On January 6th, 2019 This account was recovered from me, where I no longer have access to the account. This was done so by the Original owner who sold the account to accountwarehouse in the first place (so they are telling me.)

Their warranty period states within 60 days 100% store credit is given, 60 days- 6 months 50% store credit is given, 6 months+ 25% store credit is given. So when they discovered that it was done by the Original owner, they offered me $220 In store credit to buy another account from them.

Instantly I was enraged, after putting in over 500 hours in 2 months (8+ hours a day), on top of working 8 hours a day, I had lost not only the investment of $439.99, but also the currency listed on the account, which has a marketplace value of over 600$ USD. So I am almost out of $1,000 just like that, to be offered $220 to "Try again" essentially.

So after doing some research, I had found many reviews where I am not the only person this happens too, Person A buys account, 60 days later, account is recovered and they are offered half in store credit. I also noticed that the account is actually owned by Jagex LTD, and that account warehouse technically does not have the rights to sell said account as they are not the original owner. (Jagex Terms can be found here http://prntscr.com/m5q0u5).

Now Instantly I think, okay they are just middlemanning for the original account owner, well, I never had a single conversation with said account owner, let alone do I know his/her name. So how am I to know that the person who originally created the account, is accountwarehouse, and they recovered it, to just essentially be able to resell this account? I won't know, and to my knowledge it's impossible to tell.

I contacted my bank and disputed the charges as fraud as soon as I found out that they cannot legally sell me the account because they do not own it.

Moments later I get an email stating that I have broken the law,
and receive this threat.

"
We have recently become aware of the chargeback you have placed on the funds used to purchase an account from our website. This case has been forwarded to our legal team in order to pursue both civil and criminal charges. We will be contacting you via mail in the next 30 days with your next steps as to how you would like to resolve this issue. This is a clear cut case of fraud which is a crime.

In case you were unaware of the criminal activity you engaged in, it is illegal to intentionally refuse to pay for services and products rendered in the state of Texas. Such actions constitute a Class A Misdemeanor for theft under the Texas Penal Code, Title 7, Section 31.03(e)(3). You committed theft because you “unlawfully appropriated property with intent to deprive the owner of property.” In the present situation, AccountWarehouse.com sold you a product, which you accepted and authorized, before illegally and fraudulently informing Paypal that you did not. This is not only a crime, it also constitutes civil fraud and breach of contract. This civil suit will be filed within 30 days if your claims are not dropped."

In my paypal dispute I originally did to contact the seller, I did announce that I did indeed receive the product, but that it was later taken away from me. So I never claimed that I did not receive it.

Also the said product was purchased for $439.99, That Penal code he told me to look up was for services over 750$.

Note, that I do not live in Texas, I live in Michigan and I am actually in process of enlisting in the US army for Basic Combat Training, so I will be gone for over half a year, being unable to be contacted while I am gone. I'm just worried that I am going to come back after my Active duty (4 years or so) to an unanswered lawsuit. They are claiming that I am committing fraud.

Any tips, advice? Should I just ignore them? Or should I withdraw the Dispute?

Thank you,

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Ignore them. You're lucky you weren't burned more. Most of this activity is actually prohibited by the gaming companies so even if you hadn't been scammed by the "recovered" game, you could have found that all you put into it would go "poof" when the company caught on you weren't the original owner.

Thank you for your service.

quincy

Hello, I purchased an OldSchool Runescape account (Account owned by Jagex LTD) from the company Accountwarehouse.I purchased this account on November 1st, of 2018 in the amount of $439.99, upon doing so I gave a photocopy of my ID card and agreed to their ToS contract.

This website is a middleman for an online marketplace for many games, where they buy the account/product from said player, then list it as their own for profit.

On January 6th, 2019 This account was recovered from me, where I no longer have access to the account. This was done so by the Original owner who sold the account to accountwarehouse in the first place (so they are telling me.)

Their warranty period states within 60 days 100% store credit is given, 60 days- 6 months 50% store credit is given, 6 months+ 25% store credit is given. So when they discovered that it was done by the Original owner, they offered me $220 In store credit to buy another account from them.

Instantly I was enraged, after putting in over 500 hours in 2 months (8+ hours a day), on top of working 8 hours a day, I had lost not only the investment of $439.99, but also the currency listed on the account, which has a marketplace value of over 600$ USD. So I am almost out of $1,000 just like that, to be offered $220 to "Try again" essentially.

So after doing some research, I had found many reviews where I am not the only person this happens too, Person A buys account, 60 days later, account is recovered and they are offered half in store credit. I also noticed that the account is actually owned by Jagex LTD, and that account warehouse technically does not have the rights to sell said account as they are not the original owner. (Jagex Terms can be found here http://prntscr.com/m5q0u5).

Now Instantly I think, okay they are just middlemanning for the original account owner, well, I never had a single conversation with said account owner, let alone do I know his/her name. So how am I to know that the person who originally created the account, is accountwarehouse, and they recovered it, to just essentially be able to resell this account? I won't know, and to my knowledge it's impossible to tell.

I contacted my bank and disputed the charges as fraud as soon as I found out that they cannot legally sell me the account because they do not own it.

Moments later I get an email stating that I have broken the law,
and receive this threat.

"
We have recently become aware of the chargeback you have placed on the funds used to purchase an account from our website. This case has been forwarded to our legal team in order to pursue both civil and criminal charges. We will be contacting you via mail in the next 30 days with your next steps as to how you would like to resolve this issue. This is a clear cut case of fraud which is a crime.

In case you were unaware of the criminal activity you engaged in, it is illegal to intentionally refuse to pay for services and products rendered in the state of Texas. Such actions constitute a Class A Misdemeanor for theft under the Texas Penal Code, Title 7, Section 31.03(e)(3). You committed theft because you “unlawfully appropriated property with intent to deprive the owner of property.” In the present situation, AccountWarehouse.com sold you a product, which you accepted and authorized, before illegally and fraudulently informing Paypal that you did not. This is not only a crime, it also constitutes civil fraud and breach of contract. This civil suit will be filed within 30 days if your claims are not dropped."

In my paypal dispute I originally did to contact the seller, I did announce that I did indeed receive the product, but that it was later taken away from me. So I never claimed that I did not receive it.

Also the said product was purchased for $439.99, That Penal code he told me to look up was for services over 750$.

Note, that I do not live in Texas, I live in Michigan and I am actually in process of enlisting in the US army for Basic Combat Training, so I will be gone for over half a year, being unable to be contacted while I am gone. I'm just worried that I am going to come back after my Active duty (4 years or so) to an unanswered lawsuit. They are claiming that I am committing fraud.

Any tips, advice? Should I just ignore them? Or should I withdraw the Dispute?

Thank you,
Although you probably can safely ignore the threats of legal action, you might want to authorize an attorney in your area to act on your behalf should you be served with a summons and complaint while you are in basic training.

I, too, appreciate your service.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">