• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dissolve LLC to avoid paying judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zddoodah

Your friend should consider suing the individual as well as the LLC.
That's a much more accurate statement.

Because an attorney who doesn't attempt to pierce the corporate veil is doing his (or her) client a disservice.
Let me get this straight: You think that every lawsuit against a corporation or an LLC should include an alter ego claim. Is that what you're saying?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Let me get this straight: You think that every lawsuit against a corporation or an LLC should include an alter ego claim. Is that what you're saying?
That is not at all what I was saying or even attempting to imply, but I can understand your mistaken inference. It may have been more clear for me to say that the attorney should explore piercing the corporate veil in the case. This exploration may end with a decision that it's not a good path to go down. That is what my use of of the word "attempt" meant.

zddoodah

It may have been more clear for me to say that the attorney should explore piercing the corporate veil in the case. This exploration may end with a decision that it's not a good path to go down. That is what my use of of the word "attempt" meant.
That's an entirely different thing than what you previously wrote. The lawsuit has already been filed, so an alter ego claim either is or isn't part of the lawsuit. If it's not and the friend gets a judgment against the LLC, there may be a procedure under Colorado law to amend the owner(s) of the LLC on an alter ego theory, but we have no way of knowing what is or isn't likely to happen.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If it's not part of the lawsuit, that means the attorney already explored it (attempted to do it) but decided it wasn't the right path to take. We're talking semantics at this point, yet saying the same thing.

Litigator22

What is the name of your state? Colorado

I was discussing with a friend of mine that is suing there Remodeling Contractor (an LLC) for over $200K. He was saying they will probably win, but the Contractor (an LLC) will most likely just shut down / dissolve their LLC and then turn right around and start a new Contractor Company (LLC)?

I told him that there has to be some law to stop something like this from happening...are there any laws?
You were correct in so telling your friend as there are indeed such laws in place!

The dissolution of an LLC no more preserves its assets for the benefit of its membership to the exclusion of the rights of the entity's creditors, than does the death of an individual absolve his or her estate from the claims of his or her creditors.

Said friend needs to be consulting with an informed and seasoned trial lawyer. Time could very well be of the essence.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">