• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Distressed property now worth NOTHING

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



We purchased a Condo with a VA loan in '82 at a 16% interest rate in La. We lived there till '87. When we moved to FL. we couldn't sell it because property values were dropping in the area. It's been rented till recently. 7 yrs. ago we refinanced at 8.5% for 15 yrs. loan (property originally cost $59,700). Condo complex is completly run down now, no one is paying condo fees, so there is no insurance and the place is crime ridden. There have been 3 murders there since 1st of yr. Our last tenant was HUD tenant, she vacated beacause of crime. HUD had notified us they would no longer approve our unit for occupancy because of outer disrepair. The rent doesn't pay the note anyway. We have depreciated it off our income taxes, but now we want out of the mortgage. We can afford to pay off the $35,000 we owe the Co. that's holding the note but why should we? The property is not worth anything, nada, zilch. I called an attorney in La. and he said there is something called an accord and satisfication which I'm not sure but I think it's where you try to get them to bargain down the amount to a lower rate. They tried to tell me that I had to go to VA rep, she said no, it's up to them. They said, ony options open are if I want to foreclose (I don't) or if I have a contract on the property they would work with us, I said no one would want to buy there. When I mentioned the term accord and satisfaction he asked me what I was raeding from? The lawyer told me to try to get as high up as I could but I'm getting the run a round. The lawyer wanted a $2,000 retainer and I'm out of work right now since Jan. and I'd rather not have to cash in my 401K. Can you Help us?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential