• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Division of Property AFTER divorce?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smocksam

What is the name of your state? KANSAS

So I got divorced this spring in KS. We had an uncontested divorce and represented ourselves.

I have a signed mediation agreement stating what each of us are to take from the divorce as far as property goes.

It is now nearly 6 months later and my ex and her parents are bugging me saying that even though the things are listed in our divorce decree as my property, they really aren't and they want to come get them?

So the things in my decree are clearly mine. What about things that are not spelled out specifically that are still in my possesion? Are they mine, or still subject to division?

So if the property IS legally mine, can they file an appeal and take me back to court for another property division?

It seems like they told us by filing an uncontested divorce that we rejected our right to file an appeal on things later, but maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

I'm about to fire off a letter telling them to leave me alone, but want to be 100% sure of where I stand.

Please let me know

LdiJ

smocksam said:
What is the name of your state? KANSAS

So I got divorced this spring in KS. We had an uncontested divorce and represented ourselves.

I have a signed mediation agreement stating what each of us are to take from the divorce as far as property goes.

It is now nearly 6 months later and my ex and her parents are bugging me saying that even though the things are listed in our divorce decree as my property, they really aren't and they want to come get them?

So the things in my decree are clearly mine. What about things that are not spelled out specifically that are still in my possesion? Are they mine, or still subject to division?

So if the property IS legally mine, can they file an appeal and take me back to court for another property division?

It seems like they told us by filing an uncontested divorce that we rejected our right to file an appeal on things later, but maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

I'm about to fire off a letter telling them to leave me alone, but want to be 100% sure of where I stand.

Please let me know
Anything that is listed in the decree as your property, is your property, you can tell them to "pound sand". Anything that isn't spelled out in the agreement, that is in your possession, is also yours.

An agreement can't be appealed, and its too late for an appeal anyway. A property settlement can be re-opened, but pretty strong reasons are needed....a general dissatisfaction with the agreement...or simply a change of mind, isn't good enough.

However, if you are still in possession of any of her PERSONAL property...or anything that could be considered a family heirloom....or anything that belonged to her parents rather than her or you.....you really should give it back....because that kind of thing could get a property settlement re-opened.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">