• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lostincanada

divorse advice

I have been married in Canada, when I wasn't supposed to be in the country. Is my marriage legal? We have never lived together, and she is in Canada, and I have been living in Michigan for 3 years. It is not working out, and neither one of are willing to move. I have also been overseas with the military for the past 10 months.
Do you have any information available?

LdiJ

lostincanada said:
I have been married in Canada, when I wasn't supposed to be in the country. Is my marriage legal? We have never lived together, and she is in Canada, and I have been living in Michigan for 3 years. It is not working out, and neither one of are willing to move. I have also been overseas with the military for the past 10 months.
Do you have any information available?
Yes, your marriage is legal....at least in the US. I suspect its probably legal in Canada too.

CandiceH

How were you able to obtain a "legal" marriage in Canada? I lived in Canada (have citizenship in both Canada and the United States)and soon to be ex is Canadian. Because I was a naturalized citizen I had to go through all kinds of BS, also a friend of mine in Canada is trying to marry a US citizen and it is almost impossible without going through immigration first. Please explain more about your situation. I might be able to get you the information you need! What Province were you married in? How did you obtain a license (with what identification)? Did you EVER reside in Canada? And if so, for how long and under what circumstances?? All of these are pertinent questions that will help you get the right answers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">