• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce after submitting Form I-751

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danielska

My wife is going through the process of obtaining a green card through our marriage. We submitted form I-751 a couple of years ago but have not yet received approval for removing the conditions. Unfortunately we've come to a point where we realize that we don't want to spend the rest of our lives together and have decided that a divorce is our best option. As far as I understand, USCIS is only concerned with making sure the marriage was real (we actually thought we would be together and have tried) rather than just for getting a green card. It was real and really hard to come to the decision we've arrived at, counseling and all.

Does it make sense to wait to file for divorce until the form I-751 process is complete? I can see how it keeps the process simpler, but I'm also concerned how things might look if they investigate our current state and find us separated and intending to divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">