• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce after the first interview, but before filling for I.751

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

matjaz1977

What is the name of your state? Florida
i am married for now 2 years(2003), but file my immigration papers a year ago. i received everything, i have now my permanent resident card. although this card is temporary until(2007) but my husband and i are thinking about divorcing...he wants to file for it. So my question is, do we have to pass another interview together for the removal of conditions?or is it just a form to file with proof of marriage and no interview.
what are the conditions???
i would hate to loose everything!
thank you very much for your help

evcalyptos

matjaz1977 said:
What is the name of your state? Florida
i am married for now 2 years(2003), but file my immigration papers a year ago. i received everything, i have now my permanent resident card. although this card is temporary until(2007) but my husband and i are thinking about divorcing...he wants to file for it. So my question is, do we have to pass another interview together for the removal of conditions?or is it just a form to file with proof of marriage and no interview.
what are the conditions???
i would hate to loose everything!
thank you very much for your help
It is not 'just' a form. Suggest you study your options carefully.

How Do I Remove the Conditions on Permanent Residence Based on Marriage?
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/remcond.htm

How Can I Get a Waiver of the Requirement to File a Joint Petition?
If you are unable to apply with your spouse to remove the conditions on your residence, you may request a waiver of the joint filing requirement. You may request consideration of more than one waiver provision at a time.

You may request a waiver of the joint petitioning requirements if:

Your deportation or removal would result in extreme hardship

You entered into your marriage in good faith, and not to evade immigration laws, but the marriage ended by annulment or divorce, and you were not at fault in failing to file a timely petition.

You entered into your marriage in good faith, and not to evade immigration laws, but during the marriage you were battered by, or subjected to extreme cruelty committed by your U.S. citizen of legal permanent resident spouse, and you were not at fault in failing to file a joint petition.
Please see USCIS Form I-751 (Petition to Remove the Conditions on Residence) for more specific information on waivers.

What if I Am in Divorce Proceedings, But Am Not Yet Divorced?
If you and your spouse are unable to apply to remove the conditions on your residence because of divorce or annulment proceedings, you may not apply for a waiver of the requirement to file a joint petition, based on the “good faith” exception. You may not file for the waiver until after your marriage has been terminated.

Please read the memo dated April 10, 2003 for more specific information.
(see page for link to memo)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">