• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce agreement question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chad99_2002

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

Hello, have a question really doesn't pertain to me , but to my father. He was married to a women, less than a year, filled for divorce. After they filled they got back together, then she accused him of domestic violence and had a restraining order filled against him. So, he has been trying for months to get the divorce done, off the original divorce filing, had a court date last Thrusday. My father never went into the court room, and never sighed anything, but he thought his current lawyer have made an agreement to settle with her for $5,000 and drop all charges. Tuesday his lawyer told him there was no such agreement made, so my father wanted to cancel the agreement. His lawyer is now telling him everything is final and there is no way to reopen negotiations or he will go to jail if he doesn't pay. One other part is he calls his lawyer, Tuesday tells him he wanted to talk about the agreement, lawyer responses in a text, "agreement will be all cancelled."

My question is, can this agreement be final, was never seen before a judge, he never had signed anything partaning to the agreement. Can he have another consultation with a different lawyer, without firing the other one first?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your father needs to speak to his attorney. There is no way any of us (random strangers on the internet) can have the information required to make any sort of intelligent statement about this.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer

Hello, have a question really doesn't pertain to me , but to my father. He was married to a women, less than a year, filled for divorce. After they filled they got back together, then she accused him of domestic violence and had a restraining order filled against him. So, he has been trying for months to get the divorce done, off the original divorce filing, had a court date last Thrusday. My father never went into the court room, and never sighed anything, but he thought his current lawyer have made an agreement to settle with her for $5,000 and drop all charges. Tuesday his lawyer told him there was no such agreement made, so my father wanted to cancel the agreement. His lawyer is now telling him everything is final and there is no way to reopen negotiations or he will go to jail if he doesn't pay. One other part is he calls his lawyer, Tuesday tells him he wanted to talk about the agreement, lawyer responses in a text, "agreement will be all cancelled."

My question is, can this agreement be final, was never seen before a judge, he never had signed anything partaning to the agreement. Can he have another consultation with a different lawyer, without firing the other one first?
This sounds an awful lot like paying someone to drop charges...

LdiJ

Of course he can get a consult with another lawyer without firing the other one first. It would also probably be a good idea to do so. Based on what you are saying, it appears that his lawyer is waffling back and forth as to whether they agreement is a done deal or not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">