• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce agreement, with issues

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jhrebik

What is the name of your state? AR

My boyfriend (fullly aware of the negative implications of this term) is in the midst of a divorce agreement. He has paid all of their bills for the past 13 years, and continues to. He is willing to pay child support and alimony, as well as all mutual debt totalling $60,000, and she will keep the house, cars, and all posessions. He is wanting desperately to make sure their 3 children are taken care of, but she has only recently, after a year of separation, obtained a minimum wage job. She is demanding he pay for her schooling, as well as half his income between alimony and child support. His lawyer has told him it can cost in upwards of $5000 to go to court. What can he do to avoid this? He and I both make a decent salary, but it seems in order to come to an agreement, our mutual income will be less than half what is is now, just to avoid court. He has been far more than generous. Is it worth it to take his chances in court? If he decides to sue for custody on financial grounds, even despite our "adultery", does he have a fighting chance? I truly want the best for him, but also for us to be able to start our futures together.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
It's going to cost a hell of a lot more than 5k, for starters. If he adds custody into the mix, he's looking closer to 20k+.

And no - it's unlikely he'll get custody on "financial grounds". 'Cause they won't be there after he pays child and spousal support.

Life's hard, but when you decide to cheat, maybe there should be a price tag attached. Sorry, I don't feel any sympathy for your potential financial woes. It's that old "if ya wanna play, you better be prepared to pay" maxim.

Last edited:

Jeter

Better hope you get a nice fat raise because once his wife decides to stop playing around and takes him to court, he's going to have to take out a loan to buy a pack of gum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">