• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I live in California. I got married in Canada then moved with my husband to the US.
Things are not going so great and I'm slowly considering a divorce for few reasons, mainly because I'm the only one making money and I want to have a family but he is financially unstable.
I managed to save some money from my own income into my personal bank account (money I earned in the US and a part in canada). And in case of a divorce, i don't want to have to give him half. So what are my options?
- leaving the state
- buying a house under my name, which i will pay 100% mortgage included (i think he technically can still ask for that? Right now we are renting)
- getting a property in another country under my parents names?
- slowly moving my money elsewhere?

Any option really, my family is in europe and im also Canadian if that helps.

Thanks

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in California. I got married in Canada then moved with my husband to the US.
Things are not going so great and I'm slowly considering a divorce for few reasons, mainly because I'm the only one making money and I want to have a family but he is financially unstable.
I managed to save some money from my own income into my personal bank account (money I earned in the US and a part in canada). And in case of a divorce, i don't want to have to give him half. So what are my options?
- leaving the state
- buying a house under my name, which i will pay 100% mortgage included (i think he technically can still ask for that? Right now we are renting)
- getting a property in another country under my parents names?
- slowly moving my money elsewhere?

Any option really, my family is in europe and im also Canadian if that helps.

Thanks
He's entitled to half of your income during the time you are married.
I would suggest that you speak with an attorney about strategies to help you achieve your goals.

HRZ

CA is a community property state...unless you take great care to keep prior separate funds separate they will morph into community property. Home brew games to move or hide assets are likely to backfire .

Some steps to achieve most of your goals may work but as above I suggest you get legal counsel first ....and I'd suggest NOT buying real estate absent a formal separation and solid blessing from your attorney .

Keep in mind that it could be your duty to support a deadbeat ....get some legal advice soon !

A good new job in a state with rules less friendly to a deadbeat spouse is not out of the question ...

thedivorcelaw

It will be better for you to get a suggestion from an attorney. By understanding your situation he will give you the best possible suggestion. Some time laws are slide different country wise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">