• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and Custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dfetter

What is the name of your state? I live in Oregon

I am about to begin the process for divorcing my wife of 7 years. She has been openly seeing another man for several months and bring our children around what she is doing. She even went so far as to hold a wedding ceremony with this other man even though we were still married and took our children to it.

Since then, she has not been spending very much time at home and has spent multiple nights each week away from home. Whenever she leaves lately, she has left our children with me to care for which I do to the best of my ability and make every attempt to keep them from being confused.

Last weekend she left saturday afternoon and did not return until noon on Monday after I was already at work. I have had daycare set up for two months now after starting a new job and, when she did not return on Sunday (which was the beginning of both our work weeks) I felt it was neccessary to remove our children from the environment and make an attempt to create a stable environment for them to live in.

Since Sunday, the 6th of Novemeber, they have been in my direct care and in the care of my day care provider while I work and I have made several attempts at getting her to come see our children, but I have had very little in the way of a response on this subject. She also does not return my calls and has not been staying in a place that I know where she is to bring the girls to see her.

I honestly do not know what question to begin with, but I do want to know what my chances are of getting an outcome in the favor of me and our children in a case like this in Oregon. Anyone that has gone through a similar case in this state feel free to contact me by any means (Instant Messenger or email)...this post included.

Thank you,

Dan

Zephyr

The longer the children reside with you as their primary caregiver, and mom does not fight that situation, the better your chances are in retaining custody.

When you do file for divorce you should also file for temporary custody at the same time for the children to remain with you until final orders. Until you have the temp orders mom can still come and get the children when ever she likes and attempt to establish a living arrangement for the children with her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">